Calculating Charges on Uniformly Charged Spheres

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the charge q_red on the red sphere, given that the magnitude of the charge on the yellow sphere is determined to be 2q and the sign of the charge on the yellow sphere is negative while the sign of the charge on the red sphere is positive. However, more information is needed, such as the charge of the blue sphere and the status of the red sphere (stationary or at a minimum of electric potential), in order to solve the problem.
simple_kuri

Homework Statement

Suppose that the magnitude of the charge on the yellow sphere is determined to be 2q. Calculate the charge q_red on the red sphere.
Express your answer in terms of q , d_1 , d_2 , theta and .

14796.jpg

Hi Guys iv done the first two bits to this problem
the sign of the charge on the yellow sphere is negative and the sign of the charge on the red sphere is positive.

I can't do this third part though.
It would be gr8 if you could help me out.

I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you forget to tell us anything? Like the charge of the blue sphere (I would expect it to be q, but you didn't say that). Also, the charge on the red sphere could be anything. You need some more information to determine it, like the red sphere is stationary or is at a minimum of the electric potential.

Please state the entire problem.

Thank u for the reply.
I was actually missing out that information which is why i got stuck on it.
I should have checked the notes they had given with the question.

Related to Calculating Charges on Uniformly Charged Spheres

What is a uniformly charged sphere?

A uniformly charged sphere is a theoretical concept in physics where the charge is evenly distributed throughout the entire sphere. This means that every point on the surface of the sphere has the same amount of charge.

How is the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere?

The electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere is zero. This is because the electric field lines from each point on the surface of the sphere cancel out each other, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the sphere.

What is the electric potential of a uniformly charged sphere?

The electric potential of a uniformly charged sphere is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the radius of the sphere. It can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and R is the radius of the sphere.

How does the electric field vary outside a uniformly charged sphere?

The electric field outside a uniformly charged sphere follows the same pattern as that of a point charge, where it decreases with the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. However, as the distance increases, the electric field decreases faster for a uniformly charged sphere compared to a point charge.

Can a uniformly charged sphere have a non-zero electric field outside?

No, a uniformly charged sphere cannot have a non-zero electric field outside. This is because the electric field lines from each point on the surface of the sphere always cancel out each other, resulting in a net electric field of zero outside the sphere.