Calculating change in momentum

In summary: No problem, happy to help! Your calculation for the final angle looks correct, but just for clarification, the True angle is measured counterclockwise from the east direction. So in this case, the final angle would be approximately 60°T. Keep up the good work!
hmvince

Homework Statement

A mass(1) of 10000kg with a velocity 30m/s west collides with another mass(2) of 1200kg with a velocity 20m/s north. After the collision the two masses stick together. Determine the change in momentum of mass(2) before and after the collision.

Homework Equations

General momentum equations:
p = mv
Δp = pf - pi

The Attempt at a Solution

pi (mass 2) = mv = 1200 * 20 = 24000sN North
final velocity was calculated to be 26.87m/s 274.6°T (using LCM and some trig)
Therefore, pf (mass 2) = 1200 * 26.87 = 32244sN 274.6°T

to calculate change in momentum:
Δp = pf - pi
Δp = (32244sN 274.6°T) + (24000sN South)Note, changed to from North to south as it was -pi

Using a vector diagram, I found the resultant vector, Δp, to be 38621sN 226.7°T.I am not sure that I am doing this right though. After some searching on the internet, some people calculated change in momentum by adding initial and final vectors. But isn't that just net momentum?

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmvince said:

Homework Statement

A mass(1) of 10000kg with a velocity 30m/s west collides with another mass(2) of 1200kg with a velocity 20m/s north. After the collision the two masses stick together. Determine the change in momentum of mass(2) before and after the collision.

Homework Equations

General momentum equations:
p = mv
Δp = pf - pi

The Attempt at a Solution

pi (mass 2) = mv = 1200 * 20 = 24000sN North
final velocity was calculated to be 26.87m/s 274.6°T (using LCM and some trig)
Therefore, pf (mass 2) = 1200 * 26.87 = 32244sN 274.6°T
The magnitudes of the values look fine. What does the "T" syntax mean in your angle specifications?
to calculate change in momentum:
Δp = pf - pi
Δp = (32244sN 274.6°T) + (24000sN South)Note, changed to from North to south as it was -pi

Using a vector diagram, I found the resultant vector, Δp, to be 38621sN 226.7°T.

I am not sure that I am doing this right though. After some searching on the internet, some people calculated change in momentum by adding initial and final vectors. But isn't that just net momentum?
A change (Δ) is calculated by taking the difference between final and starting values. So a vector difference (subtraction) should be involved. Note that this can be accomplished by changing the sign of the appropriate vector and then adding.

the T means true, so 90°T would mean East.

and yeah, I did the sign changing thing so I could simply add the vectors (north to south)

thanks!

hmvince said:
the T means true, so 90°T would mean East.

and yeah, I did the sign changing thing so I could simply add the vectors (north to south)

thanks!

Okay, I understand. I think that you may have some issues with the angles. You should be able to tell just from the initial conditions that the direction of motion after the collision will be in the 2nd quadrant, so the True angle associated with the velocity and momentum should be between 90 and 180 degrees.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45772&stc=1&d=1333287551

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 490
The diagram you sent looks pretty good. But i think i am still correct. °T is measured clockwise from north, so the final angle of the blue and red mass' are at an angle of about 300°T (loooking at your diagram). thanks for your help!

Related to Calculating change in momentum

1. What is momentum and why is it important in calculating change in momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is important in calculating change in momentum because it helps us understand how much force is required to change the motion of an object.

2. How do you calculate change in momentum?

Change in momentum is calculated by subtracting the initial momentum from the final momentum. It can also be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time interval over which the force was applied.

3. What is the unit of measurement for momentum?

Momentum is measured in kilogram meters per second (kg m/s) in the SI system.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply in calculating change in momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of an object before a collision will be equal to the final momentum after the collision, even if the objects involved in the collision have different masses.

5. How does the direction of an object's velocity affect its momentum and change in momentum?

The direction of an object's velocity affects its momentum because momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The change in momentum will also have the same direction as the object's velocity, as it is a result of the force applied in that direction.