Calculating Centripetal Force on Moon & Earth: Mass, Distance, and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass and orbit of the moon around Earth, as well as the relationship between the forces and radii of their orbits. The first part of the conversation calculates the centripetal force on the moon using F = M(v^2)/r and T = 2pr/v. The second part discusses the relationship between the Earth's orbit and its distance from the center of mass of Earth and moon. The formula Me*ω^2*r = Mm*ω^2*(d-r) is used to find the radius of the Earth's orbit, with ω being the angular velocity.
kapitanma

Homework Statement

I)The mass of the moon is 7.35*10^22 kg. In inertial coordinates, the moon orbits the Earth in 27.3 days at an average distance of 3.84*10^5 kg. Calculate the centripetal force on the moon.
II)The mass of the moon is .0123 times that of earth. Since the Earth is experiencing the same magnitude of force, it too is being accelerated. In these inertial coordinates what is the radius of the circular path the Earth follows?

I calculated the first part easily, using F = M(v^2)/r and T = 2pr/v.

So the force acting on the Earth is the same magnitude as the one I calculated in part I. However, I have no idea how to relate the radius of the Earth's path in part II. I have two unknowns for the Earth's velocity, and radius, and so I am not sure how to approach this problem with my current knowledge. I'm not sure if I'm missing something conceptual, or missing a formula here. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the moon moves around earth, the center of mass of Earth and moon remains at rest.
The Earth rotates around this center of mass. If its distance from the center of the Earth is r, then
Me*ω^2*r = Mm*ω^2*(d-r), where ω is the angular velocity which is the same for moon and earth.
Now substitute the values and find r.

Related to Calculating Centripetal Force on Moon & Earth: Mass, Distance, and Acceleration

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular motion, directing it towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path rather than flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F=mv²/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include a car turning a corner, a spinning top, a tetherball swinging around a pole, and a planet orbiting around a star.

4. Is centripetal force the same as centrifugal force?

No, centripetal force and centrifugal force are not the same. Centrifugal force is an outward force that appears to act on an object in a circular motion, but it is actually just the result of the object's inertia. Centripetal force, on the other hand, is a real force that acts towards the center of the circle.

5. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object in circular motion. However, it is necessary to maintain the object's motion in the circular path. The speed of the object can be affected by other factors such as the centripetal force's strength, the mass of the object, and the radius of the circle.