Calculating Centripetal Force? (car moving in circle on a sloped road)

In summary, the car moves in a circle on a sloped road. The horizontal component of the force (R sin14), which is 8500 tan14, is 2100 N. The markscheme (answer sheet) has this as the way they got their answer. My area of concern is how they arrived at the value for R. Here is my calculation: x = 14 degrees, R = Reaction force of the road on the car, and F = Horizontal component of the force R.
plat4m6
Calculating Centripetal Force?!? (car moving in circle on a sloped road)

Hi guyz,
i have problem with this IB standard level mechanics question:

here is the link 2 the question: (it is from an International Bacalaureatte examination):

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/4303/motionofcar5xa.png

The markscheme (answer sheet) has this as the way they got their answer:

horizontal component = R sin14;
= 8500 tan14;
= 2119 N --> which approx is 2100 N

my area of concern is how they arrived at the value for R, here is my calculation

x = 14 degrees, R = Reaction force of the road on the car, F = Horizontal component of the force R

http://www.rahmahwear.com/mymethod.doc [in this file]

i understand how they got their answr in teh markscheme, but what's the error in my logic?

as for part d, i thought that if velocity increase, F will increase (i.e. for example.. instead of 2100 it become 3000 but it is still towards center of circle), therefore the car should slide DOWN the ramp?, they say that
"friction must supply larger force2ward center, car tends to slide UP he ramp"

sorry i couldn't ask my own physics teacher.. he's a great bludger.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
d) If the car speeds up than the centrafugal force needed to keep it at equilibrium is bigger. the weight stays the same.

hi daniel

but if car speeds up, the centripetal force will automatically increase since it means acceleration is increasing (a = v^2/r), hence if anything.. the car should remain where it is in same motion.. i think..

i mean.. when u wirl a steel ball attached to piece of string, the faster u spin it.. the Force will continue to piont to center no matter what..

what do u think?

plat4m6 said:
i mean.. when u wirl a steel ball attached to piece of string, the faster u spin it.. the Force will continue to piont to center no matter what..
what do u think?
Yes but you need more tension to keep the ball in place - If you spin it to fast then the string will rip and the ball will fly away.
Same here, as you move faster more friction is needed to hold you in place. If there isn't enough friction then like the ball you will fly away.

true that, now i understand that part, any suggestion with regard to why my calculation may be wrong?

thanks heaps daniel! lol it actually make sense to me now..

Related to Calculating Centripetal Force? (car moving in circle on a sloped road)

1. How do you calculate centripetal force for a car moving in a circle on a sloped road?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the equation Fc = (mv^2)/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity of the car, and r is the radius of the circular path the car is traveling on.

2. Does the slope of the road affect the centripetal force?

Yes, the slope of the road does affect the centripetal force. In fact, the force due to gravity (Fg = mg) must be taken into account when calculating centripetal force on a sloped road. The force due to gravity can be broken down into its components parallel and perpendicular to the road, and the perpendicular component will contribute to the overall centripetal force.

3. What is the role of velocity in calculating centripetal force?

The velocity of the car is a crucial factor in calculating centripetal force. The equation for centripetal force (Fc = mv^2/r) shows that the force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity. This means that the faster the car is moving, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it in its circular path.

4. Can centripetal force be greater than the force due to gravity?

Yes, it is possible for centripetal force to be greater than the force due to gravity. This can occur when the car is traveling at a high speed and/or on a steeply sloped road. In this case, the centripetal force must be strong enough to counteract both the force due to gravity and the car's tendency to travel in a straight line.

5. Is centripetal force a real force or a fictitious force?

Centripetal force is a real force that is necessary to keep an object in uniform circular motion. It is often referred to as a "fictitious" force because it is not a fundamental force like gravity or electromagnetism, but rather a result of the object's motion in a circular path. However, it is still a real force that must be accounted for in any circular motion calculations.