Calculating Centre of Mass with Added Weight on a Station Wagon

In summary, a station wagon of mass 2000kg with a wheelbase of 3.0m and a load of 1100kg on the front wheels and 900kg on the rear wheels has a center of mass at 1.35m from the front wheels. When a 200kg box is placed 1.0m behind the rear axle, the center of mass is at (6800 - 3y)/2200, where y is the mass at the front wheels. To find y, the torques at the front and rear axles must be balanced, with the pivot point chosen as one of the axles. This results in a normal force of 1666.67N on the front wheels
John O' Meara
A station wagon of mass 2000kg has a wheelbase (distance between front and rear axles) of 3.0m. Ordinarily 1100kg rests on the front wheels and 900kg on the rear wheels. A box of mass 200kg is now placed on the tailgate, 1.0m behind the rear axle. How much total weight now rests on the front wheels? On the rear wheels?
X=(m1x1 + m2x2 + ...)/(m1 + m2 +...)
X=position of centre of mass. Vector sum of torques must be zero.
900kg/2000kgx3m = 1.35m; is the c.m., of the 2000kg car from the front wheels. I cannot think what to do next! Any one any ideas. Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not necessary to find the position of the cm. Treat the system as three point objects of 1100 kg, 900 kg, and 200 kg.

Balance torques from there choosing one of the axels as the pivot (I don't see why you wouldn't).

Let x be the centre of mass of the car plus the 200kg weight. And let y = mass at the front wheels. And let z = mass at the rear wheels. Taking moments about x, we have :

yx = z(3-x) + 200 (4-x),
yx = 3z -zx + 800 -200x,
but z=(2200-y-200), therefore
yx = 3(2000 - y) -2000x + yx + 800 -200x,
therefore
x = (6800 -3y)/2200.
The question is, how do you get y?

John O' Meara said:
Let x be the centre of mass of the car plus the 200kg weight. And let y = mass at the front wheels. And let z = mass at the rear wheels. Taking moments about x, we have :

yx = z(3-x) + 200 (4-x),
yx = 3z -zx + 800 -200x,
but z=(2200-y-200), therefore
yx = 3(2000 - y) -2000x + yx + 800 -200x,
therefore
x = (6800 -3y)/2200.
The question is, how do you get y?
If you use x as your pivot point, you will be unable to get an answer. Do what Chi Meson said and choose one of the axles as the pivot point - that way, you can eliminate one of the variables from the start (torque at that point is zero). Then you can go back and make the other axle the pivot point.

When I try to do what Chi Meson says, I get the following; taking moments about the 900kg point first, I get an inconsistant equation namely: 1100*3 = 200*1, but if I do the following; taking moments again about the 900 kg mass: 1100(3-x)=200*1 => x=2.8182. I must not understand Chi Meson? although what he says looks simple enough.

pivot=front axel (on the left)
cw torque: 1100*0 + 900*3 + 200*4

ccw torque: rear axel force*3

Last edited:
AS a matter of interest what does "cw" and "ccw" stand for. Thanks very much for your help.

"clockwise" and "counterclockwise."

CW and CCW stand for Clock Wise and Counter Clock Wise.
I just got done doing this stuff a few weeks ago, so i know what you are going through. What they are trying to tell you is that the normal force of each wheel (and the associated torque) counters the load on the wheel from the car. You can use that to create the equation with the unknown being the normal force of the wheel (which equals the load on the wheel). Hope this helps.

If I do the following: equate the cw torque with the ccw torque as given by Chi Meson in reply no., 6( although I didn't think that you could equate them because they were from two different pivot points), the force = 1666.67N. If you connot equate them, I don't see any ccw torques for the front axle or any cw torques for the back axle?

Related to Calculating Centre of Mass with Added Weight on a Station Wagon

What is the Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass (COM) is a point within a body or system of bodies where the total mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the mass in the system.

Why is the Centre of Mass important?

The Centre of Mass is important because it helps us understand the motion and stability of objects. It is used in physics to calculate the effects of forces on a system, and in engineering to design structures that can support their own weight and any additional loads.

How is the Centre of Mass calculated?

The Centre of Mass can be calculated by taking the sum of the individual masses multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen reference point, and then dividing by the total mass of the system. This can be expressed mathematically as COM = (m1r1 + m2r2 + ... + mnrn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m is the mass and r is the distance from the reference point.

What is the difference between Centre of Mass and Centre of Gravity?

The Centre of Mass and Centre of Gravity are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. The Centre of Mass is the average position of all the mass in a system, while the Centre of Gravity is the point where the weight of an object can be considered to act. For most objects on Earth, the Centre of Mass and Centre of Gravity are very close to each other, but in space, where there is no significant gravitational force, they can be different.

How does the Centre of Mass change when an object is in motion?

The Centre of Mass does not change when an object is in uniform motion. However, when an object is accelerating or rotating, the Centre of Mass will also be in motion. In these cases, the Centre of Mass will move in the same direction and with the same acceleration or rotation as the object.