Calculating Car Lift Height with a Hydraulic Lift

In summary, the question involves using a hydraulic lift to jack up a 970 kg car by .12m. The output piston has a diameter of .18m and the input force is 270 N. A system of equations is set up to solve for the variables A1 and h2, taking into account the given height of .12m for the car. The input piston moves by .13m and the distance the car moves is related by the force/piston area ratios of the input and output.
BeiW

Homework Statement

A hydraulic lift is used to jack a 970 kg car .12m off the floor. The diameter of the output piston is .18 m, and the input force is 270 N.

If the input piston moves .13 m in each stroke, how high does the car move up for each stroke?

2-3. Relevant equations and attempt at solving
Fin=Fout
That becomes pghA=pghA
p = density
g=gravity
h=height
A=area

So I get 270=p(9.8)(.13)(A) which is the input force.
I could set that equal to the output force:
270=p(9.8)(.13)(A1)=(p)(9.8)(h2)(.02545)
.02545 is the area of a circle when I plug in .09 for radius.

The p's would cancel, and I'm left with the variables A1 and h2.

I know I can use the system of equations to solve this, but I want to know if I set up the equations correctly. And also, what do I do with the .12 m (that the car is lifted off the ground)??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i believe the .12m is given so that you can find the initial height of the input piston since they are not in equilibrium

hy23 said:
i believe the .12m is given so that you can find the initial height of the input piston since they are not in equilibrium

In that case, would I add the .12m to the .13 for h1?

.12m refers to the car or height of the output piston, the input piston moves by .13m, the distance the car moves is related by the force/piston area ratios of the input and output

Your equations and approach seem to be on the right track. To account for the .12 m lift of the car, you would need to add that to the final height h2. So your final equation would be:

270 = p(9.8)(.13)(A1) = p(9.8)(h2 + .12)(.02545)

From here, you can solve for h2 by rearranging the equation and plugging in the values for p, g, and A1. This will give you the height that the car moves up for each stroke of the hydraulic lift.

Related to Calculating Car Lift Height with a Hydraulic Lift

1. How does a hydraulic lift work to lift a car?

A hydraulic lift uses a hydraulic system, which consists of a pump, cylinder, and fluid, to lift objects. When the pump is activated, it pushes fluid into the cylinder, which then pushes a piston up. This creates pressure that lifts the car.

2. What is the formula for calculating car lift height with a hydraulic lift?

The formula for calculating car lift height with a hydraulic lift is: Height = (Force x Distance)/(Area x Gravity). This formula takes into account the force applied by the hydraulic lift, the distance the piston travels, the surface area of the piston, and the force of gravity pulling the car down.

3. How do you determine the force applied by a hydraulic lift?

The force applied by a hydraulic lift can be determined by multiplying the pressure in the hydraulic system by the surface area of the piston. The pressure can be measured with a pressure gauge, and the surface area can be calculated by multiplying the diameter of the piston by pi and dividing by 4.

4. Can the lift height be increased by using a larger piston?

Yes, using a larger piston will increase the lift height. This is because a larger surface area will result in a greater force being applied by the hydraulic lift, according to the formula mentioned above. However, the maximum lift height will also depend on the capacity and power of the hydraulic pump.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a hydraulic lift to lift a car?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a hydraulic lift. This includes properly securing the car on the lift, ensuring the lift is on a level and stable surface, and not exceeding the weight capacity of the lift. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the lift to ensure it is in good working condition.