Calculating Capacitor Ripple Voltage: Ideal vs ESR of 0.2 Ohms

In summary, the homework problem is to study the output voltage ripple of particular types of dc-to-dc converters. An ideal capacitor is used in part A and a real capacitor with an ESR of 0.2 Ohms is used in part B. The attempt at a solution is confusing because it appears the ripple voltage for part A is not a phasor. The solution for part A is a piecewise function, which is made up of quadratic expressions, and the solution for part B is adding the resistance R.
Xyius

Homework Statement

This homework problem is for my power electronics course I am currently taking.

The network shown to the right (SEE ATTACHED IMAGE) is used to
study the output voltage ripple of particular
types of dc-to-dc converters. Note that [itex]\tilde{i}(t)[/itex]
and [itex]\tilde{v}_C(t)[/itex] represent ripple quantities that
have zero average value – they are not
phasors. Sketch the capacitor ripple voltage,
assuming the capacitor is 10 [itex]\mu[/itex]F and is …
a. ideal.
b. has an ESR of 0.2 Ohms

Homework Equations

Equation 1:
[itex]i(t)=C\frac{d}{dt}v(t)[/itex]

Equation 2:
[itex]ESR=R_{lead}+\frac{1}{R_{leakage}(\omega C)^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part A, I believe all I do is solve Equation 1 for voltage above by integration of a piecewise function that defines the current i(t). Not so bad.

Part B is what is confusing me. If the capacitor now has an associated resistance with it, it can essentially be modeled as a capacitor and resistor in series. To me this means that an impedance with a real and imaginary part is created. But this is confusing because the problem says they are not phasors, and this is apparent by what the solution will be for the voltage for part A (a piecewise function made up of quadratic expressions). I am not sure how to incorporate this resistance in what the ripple voltage will look like.

Attachments

• prob1EE413.png
    prob1EE413.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
In part (a), Vc = (1/C)integral of i dt.
What is the corresponding expression for part (b) for which ESR = R?

That is what is confusing me. That equation is derived in the following way.

[itex]q(t)=C v(t)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}q(t)=\frac{d}{dt}C v(t)[/itex]
[itex]i(t)=C \frac{d}{dt}v(t)[/itex]

When now there is a resistance, I am not sure which ones of these quantities changes. My only thought is to say that when there is a series resistance, it adds a voltage drop of [itex]i(t)R[/itex] So the total voltage drop becomes the following.

[itex]V=\frac{1}{C}q+IR[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}V=\frac{1}{C}\frac{d}{dt}q+\frac{d}{dt}IR[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}V=\frac{1}{C}I+\frac{dI}{dt}R[/itex]

Integrating both sides with respect to t gives the following.

[itex]V=\frac{1}{C}\int I dt + IR[/itex]

Writing it in the problems notation it would be.

[itex]\tilde{v}(t)=\frac{1}{C}\int \tilde{i}(t) dt + \tilde{i}(t)R[/itex]Would this be correct?

Xyius said:
That is what is confusing me. That equation is derived in the following way.

[itex]q(t)=C v(t)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}q(t)=\frac{d}{dt}C v(t)[/itex]
[itex]i(t)=C \frac{d}{dt}v(t)[/itex]

When now there is a resistance, I am not sure which ones of these quantities changes. My only thought is to say that when there is a series resistance, it adds a voltage drop of [itex]i(t)R[/itex] So the total voltage drop becomes the following.

[itex]V=\frac{1}{C}q+IR[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}V=\frac{1}{C}\frac{d}{dt}q+\frac{d}{dt}IR[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}V=\frac{1}{C}I+\frac{dI}{dt}R[/itex]

Integrating both sides with respect to t gives the following.

[itex]V=\frac{1}{C}\int I dt + IR[/itex]

Writing it in the problems notation it would be.

[itex]\tilde{v}(t)=\frac{1}{C}\int \tilde{i}(t) dt + \tilde{i}(t)R[/itex]Would this be correct?

Yes.
Since you already have the graph for R=0 it should be very easy to add the IR term, right?

rude man said:
Yes. [itex]\tilde{v}(t)=\frac{1}{C}\int \tilde{i}(t) dt + \tilde{i}(t)R[/itex]
Since you already have the graph for R=0 it should be very easy to add the IR term, right?

Remember the area under a complete cycle is zero.

This is what I got (See attached). The top is the ideal case. Seems correct. For the second part, I simply added 0.2 multiplied by the piece-wise functions I got earlier for the current. Was this the correct way to do this?

Attachments

• 2prob1EE413.png
    2prob1EE413.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 448
Xyius said:
This is what I got (See attached). The top is the ideal case. Seems correct. For the second part, I simply added 0.2 multiplied by the piece-wise functions I got earlier for the current. Was this the correct way to do this?

This may be OK but the areas over and under the curve for one cycle should be the same. That's because the dc (average) content of i(t) = 0 and so the capacitor voltage must also have zero dc component over 1 cycle. And of course so must Ri(t).

In graphing parts (a) and (b) did you have Vc(t=0) = 0? If so, then V(0) = 0 for part (a) and V(0) = -R for part (b).

Likes Xyius
When I was solving the integral equation I set Vc(t=0) to zero. Hope that was okay.

Thank you for all your help!

Xyius said:
When I was solving the integral equation I set Vc(t=0) to zero. Hope that was okay.

Thank you for all your help!

Related to Calculating Capacitor Ripple Voltage: Ideal vs ESR of 0.2 Ohms

1. What is capacitor ripple voltage?

Capacitor ripple voltage is the fluctuation in voltage across a capacitor that occurs when it is used in a circuit to filter an AC signal. It is caused by the capacitor's inability to completely smooth out the AC signal, resulting in small variations in voltage.

2. How is capacitor ripple voltage calculated?

Capacitor ripple voltage can be calculated using the formula Vr = I * (1/2*f*C), where Vr is the ripple voltage, I is the current flowing through the capacitor, f is the frequency of the AC signal, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. What causes capacitor ripple voltage?

Capacitor ripple voltage is caused by the capacitor's ability to store and release charge. When an AC signal is applied to the capacitor, it charges and discharges at a rate determined by the frequency of the signal. This results in small variations in voltage, known as ripple voltage.

4. How does capacitor size affect ripple voltage?

The size (capacitance) of a capacitor directly affects the amount of ripple voltage that is present in a circuit. A larger capacitor will have a lower ripple voltage, as it has a greater ability to smooth out the AC signal. Similarly, a smaller capacitor will have a higher ripple voltage.

5. What are the effects of high ripple voltage?

High ripple voltage can have negative effects on a circuit, such as causing fluctuations in the output voltage, reducing the efficiency of the circuit, and potentially damaging components. It is important to select a capacitor with an appropriate capacitance to keep ripple voltage within acceptable limits.