Calculating Capacitance of Two Metal Plates with 1μF Capacity

• Thread starter Mark Martinello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance between two metal plates to create a capacitance of 1 micro Farad. The formula for capacitance is mentioned and the variables are listed. The correct values for the permittivity of air and free space are also provided. The final formula for calculating the distance is mentioned and the conversation concludes with a thank you for the assistance.
Mark Martinello
Hi Guys,

Here is a question that I cannot get my mind on. Bad day I guess. I'm trying to figure out the answer. Here comes the question:

How far away from each other would two metal plates, 2 square meters in area each, have to be in order to create a capacitance of 1 micro Farad? Assume that the plates are separted by air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Capacitance = (Permitivity of air * Area of overlap of the plates)/d between plates

you have all the variables apart from d
rearrange the formula with "d" on one side of the equals sign and everything else on the other.

Permitivity of air = 1.0006 (in case you didnt know)

The answer I get is 2*10 to the power -6. I don't think that is the right answer.

i made an error there sorry

1.0006 is the relative permittivity of air
you multiply this by the permittivity of free space.

permittivity of free space is 8.85*10^-12
permittivity of air is (8.85*10^-12)*1.0006 = 8.85531*10^-12

d = dist between plates = unknown
A = overlapping area of plates = 2 metres square
E = permittivity of air = 8.85531*10^-12
C = capacitance of the parallel plate capacitor

your formula was C = (E*A) / d

you rearrange it to d = (E*A) / C

plug in your values for E, A and C

then see what you get.

Thanks for helping out SpeedBird. I forgot completely about the permittivity of free space. Answer correct after I got the full menu!

Thanks again, Mark

No worries :biggrin:

Related to Calculating Capacitance of Two Metal Plates with 1μF Capacity

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of a material's ability to store an electrical charge. It is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the charge (Q) stored on one plate of a capacitor by the potential difference (V) between the two plates. This can be expressed as C = Q/V.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a material is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the type of material between the plates. It is also influenced by the dielectric constant of the material, which is a measure of its ability to store charge.

4. What is the relationship between capacitance and voltage?

Capacitance and voltage have a proportional relationship, meaning that as the voltage increases, the capacitance also increases. This relationship is expressed by the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

5. How is capacitance used in electronics?

Capacitors are commonly used in electronics to store energy and filter out unwanted signals. They are also used in timing circuits and power supply units. In addition, capacitance is an important factor in determining the speed of computer memory and processing.