Calculating braking distance of a car

In summary, the problem provided involves calculating the stopping distance of a car weighing 600kg, traveling at 300km/hr with a coefficient of static friction of 1.5 and down force equal to 2.6v^2. The air resistance is also given as 1.5v^2 (with v in m/s). The attempt at a solution involves finding the normal force, friction force, and air resistance force, and using these values to calculate the acceleration and time it takes for the car to stop. However, the problem becomes more complex when considering the effect of the down force and the brake on the car's stopping distance. A proper mathematical approach, potentially involving a differential equation, is needed to solve this problem
Blocker12

Homework Statement

A car that weights 600kg, traveling at 300km/hr and the coefficient of static friction between the car and the road is 1.5, down force is equal to 2.6v^2 and air resistance is 1.5v^2 (v is in m/s). Calculate how many meters it would take for the car to stop with the breaks applied to there maximum value.

Homework Equations

V(final) = V(initial) + at
Work = -1/2mv^2
I'm not sure if there are more?

The Attempt at a Solution

N(normal force)= mg + 2.6v^2 when v = 83.3 (300km/hr converted to m/s)
N= 23921.1N
F(friction)= 1.5 * N
= 32881.7N
F(air resistance)= 1.5v^2 when v= 83.3
=10408.3N
Finding the acceleration of the forces
a= F/m
Total accelection = -77.3m/s^2
How long it takes to go from 300 to 0 [/B]
0=83.3-77.3*t
t=1.1sec
Integration of velocity formula to get the displacement formula
D=83.3*t-(77.2/2)*t^2 when t = 1.1
=44.9m

I feel like the deceleration is way to high (just under 8g) and I'm not sure how I'm to correct that as I feel like I have used formula incorrectly as doing from 300km/hr to 0 in just over a second can't be right,
so any help I can get to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Blocker12.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Air resistance is not a fixed 10408 N. It is proportional to v2, this means as the car slows, air resistance force reduces rapidly.

Similarly, friction has a velocity-dependent component, too.

The more I look at this problem, the more bizarre it looks back at me.
Why should the vehicle ever come to a stop? In order to stop, an opposing force is required even at zero velocity, which does not seem to be the case here.
The "down" force is a mystery. Since no kinetic friction coefficient is given, the force of friction is unknowable. And anyway, it woiuldn't help by the above observation.
Must be something I'm missing ...

rude man said:
The more I look at this problem, the more bizarre it looks back at me.
Why should the vehicle ever come to a stop? In order to stop, an opposing force is required even at zero velocity, which does not seem to be the case here.
The "down" force is a mystery. Since no kinetic friction coefficient is given, the force of friction is unknowable. And anyway, it woiuldn't help by the above observation.
Must be something I'm missing ...
The mass of the car is given, hence its weight, and the additional downforce I suppose could be attributed to aerodynamics since it's proportional to the velocity squared. The coefficient of static friction is given, so if we assume that the car employs an efficient ABS, then...

gneill said:
The mass of the car is given, hence its weight, and the additional downforce I suppose could be attributed to aerodynamics since it's proportional to the velocity squared. The coefficient of static friction is given, so if we assume that the car employs an efficient ABS, then...
How does the down force (I agree it's probably due to vertical air pressure) figure in the problem? No kinetic friction coeff. given, and even if it was you need a countervailing force finite even at zero velocity to have the car come to a stop:
m dv/dt + k v2 = 0 solves to
v(t) = mv0/(m + kv0t) > 0 for all finite t
where v0 = initial velocity.
Static friction does not come into play until v = 0 but the vehicle never stops.

rude man said:
How does the down force (I agree it's probably due to vertical air pressure) figure in the problem? No kinetic friction coeff. given, and even if it was you need a countervailing force finite even at zero velocity to have the car come to a stop:
Static friction does not come into play until v = 0 but the vehicle never stops.

It's the coefficient of static friction that determines the maximum braking capability. Kinetic friction enters the equation if the car skids.

rude man said:
The down force adds to the apparent weight, increasing the normal force, hence the maximal static friction.

Blocker12 said:
I feel like the deceleration is way to high (just under 8g) and I'm not sure how I'm to correct that as I feel like I have used formula incorrectly as doing from 300km/hr to 0 in just over a second can't be right,
so any help I can get to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your time

This is a far more difficult problem than can be solved by plugging numbers into one equation. To solve this, you need a proper mathematical approach. In fact, because the forces depend on ##v##, you will need to generate and solve a differential equation. Do you know much about such equations?

Since coeff of kinetic friction is always < static friction, for full marks perhaps the answer could take the form: stopping distance with brakes locked will be at least ...

So far I considered only the tires against the pavement. But it seems the action of the brake is also to be considered, which makes the problem even more complex. Good luck everyone, I'm lost!

Related to Calculating braking distance of a car

1. How is the braking distance of a car calculated?

The braking distance of a car is calculated by multiplying the car's initial velocity by its reaction time, and adding this to the product of the car's final velocity and its braking distance coefficient. The resulting number is the total braking distance in feet.

2. What factors affect the braking distance of a car?

The braking distance of a car is affected by several factors, including the car's initial velocity, the condition and type of brakes, the condition and type of tires, and the road surface. Other factors such as the weight and size of the car, as well as weather conditions, can also impact braking distance.

3. How does the condition of the car's brakes affect the braking distance?

The condition of a car's brakes can greatly impact its braking distance. Worn out or malfunctioning brakes can increase the time it takes for the car to come to a complete stop, resulting in a longer braking distance. Regular maintenance and replacement of worn brake components can help ensure optimal braking performance.

4. Is there a standard braking distance for all cars?

No, there is no standard braking distance for all cars. The braking distance of a car can vary depending on its make, model, and various other factors. Additionally, different countries and regions may have different regulations and standards for braking distance.

5. How can I calculate the braking distance of my own car?

To calculate the braking distance of your own car, you will need to know its initial velocity, reaction time, braking distance coefficient, and final velocity. These values can be obtained from the car's manufacturer or through testing. Once you have these values, you can use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the braking distance.