Calculating Blower Flow in CFM - Required Data & Equation

In summary: It sounds like you may have a similar problem to one that I experienced a few years ago. I was running a gas engine (diesel, I think) on a farm, and I had a similar issue. The engine was running great until I added some oil to the system--then the engine started to bog down and eventually seize up. The fix was to add a small separator (a trash can with a hole in the bottom) between the engine and the tank, and run the oil through it. In summary, Russ is the guy to talk to about this, and Fred Garvin if he's still around.
Eng.Ayed
dears;
happy new year...
I would like to ask you about how can I calculate the blower flow in CFM.
what are the required data that must be available. Also I need the equation that calculate the flow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You're going to have to give us a lot more information if we are to help you. What is the purpose of this blower? Do you need to select it or do you have it and want to find out what it can do? Typically, people calculate what flow they need, then select the blower out of a catalog or with selection software to math their needs. No calculation required.

Dear Sir;

First of all, we have Gas Turbine and it has a lube oil mist separator blower. It is designed to exhaust air from the oil reservoirs and remove the oil mist entrained in that air via vent line pipe. Before we did not face any problem but we did some modification which was the extended of the vent line pipe after this modification we faced some problem and the most of it was the tank almost pressurized it must be vacuum because of blower. Now we are looking for how can we calculate the flow then we can see it in the performance curve. Finally after this clarification I hope you understand my issue.
please note down all the information may need during the flow's calculation.

your help is highly appreciated

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

You're going to have to give us a lot more information if we are to help you. What is the purpose of this blower? Do you need to select it or do you have it and want to find out what it can do? Typically, people calculate what flow they need, then select the blower out of a catalog or with selection software to math their needs. No calculation required.
First of all, we have Gas Turbine and it has a lube oil mist separator blower. It is designed to exhaust air from the oil reservoirs and remove the oil mist entrained in that air via vent line pipe. Before we did not face any problem but we did some modification which was the extended of the vent line pipe after this modification we faced some problem and the most of it was the tank almost pressurized it must be vacuum because of blower. Now we are looking for how can we calculate the flow then we can see it in the performance curve. Finally after this clarification I hope you understand my issue.
please note down all the information may need during the flow's calculation

Welcome to PF, Eng.
Russ is certainly the guy to listen to on this subject, and Fred Garvin if he's still around.
Since I know nothing about the matter, I'll just chirp up with my normal "outsider" viewpoint. This reminds me very much of the pan-evac systems that we used on our cars back in the day, wherein pipes ran from the valve covers to the headers to eliminate pressure (if good enough, create vacuum) in the crankcase.
Since yours is a closed system, you don't want to lose your oil. Might I suggest, therefore, that you introduce some sort of diffuser that will lower the return to atmospheric pressure before it gets to the return reservoir? (Or is there no return reservoir, and it has to go directly back to the main tank?)

Related to Calculating Blower Flow in CFM - Required Data & Equation

1. What is the equation for calculating blower flow in CFM?

The equation for calculating blower flow in CFM (cubic feet per minute) is: CFM = (RPM x displacement) / 3456, where RPM is the blower speed in revolutions per minute and displacement is the volume of air displaced by the blower in cubic inches.

2. What is the required data for calculating blower flow in CFM?

The required data for calculating blower flow in CFM includes the blower speed in RPM, the displacement of air in cubic inches, and the efficiency of the blower. The efficiency is usually provided by the manufacturer and is expressed as a percentage.

3. How do I determine the displacement of air for a blower?

The displacement of air for a blower can be determined by measuring the bore (diameter) and stroke (length) of the blower and using the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder: V = πr2h, where r is the radius (half the bore) and h is the stroke length.

4. Can I use the same equation for different types of blowers?

While the equation for calculating blower flow in CFM is the same for most types of blowers, the displacement value may differ depending on the design and size of the blower. It is important to use the correct displacement value for accurate calculations.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my blower flow calculations?

To improve the accuracy of blower flow calculations, it is important to obtain precise measurements of the required data, including blower speed, displacement, and efficiency. It may also be beneficial to compare the calculated CFM to the manufacturer's specifications or test the blower's flow rate in a controlled environment.