Calculating Binding Energy of 24 Mg

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of binding energy for 24 Mg, which is achieved by using an equation that takes into account the mass of protons, neutrons, and the element. The initial negative result was attributed to not considering the coulomb repulsion effect, which can be accounted for with a different equation. However, it is noted that using the mass defect method should also yield the correct answer. The binding energy is a measure of the energy required to break apart an atom's nucleus, and it is not the same as negative potential energy.
rogersj
I'm trying to figure out the binding energy of 24 Mg. That is (12 protons and 12 neutrons. I keep getting a negative number. Using the equation:
Eb (MeV) = (ZMp + NMn - Ma)931.494 MeV/u I should be able to get the right answer but my mass defect ( delta m) is negative. What am I missing?
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be plugging in the wrong numbers. Your equation is correct. Since the proton and neutron massess are greater than 1u, and the mass of Mg is less than 24u, the binding energy is positive (as it better be).

Show the us the numbers.

And welcome to Physics Forums, by the way! :smile:

Last edited:
got it

thanks!
yeah I got the answer, apparently I wasn't taking into account the coulomb repulsion effect. I did a little reading and found this equation:

Eb = C1(A) - C2(A^2/3) - C3 Z(Z-1)/A^1/3 - C4(N-Z)^2/ A

where C1 = 15.7 MeV, C2 = 17.8 MeV, C3 = 0.71 MeV, C4 = 23.6 MeV

I don't quite understand it, but it worked to find the right answer. Thanks for your reply.

rogersj said:
thanks!
yeah I got the answer, apparently I wasn't taking into account the coulomb repulsion effect. I did a little reading and found this equation:

Eb = C1(A) - C2(A^2/3) - C3 Z(Z-1)/A^1/3 - C4(N-Z)^2/ A

where C1 = 15.7 MeV, C2 = 17.8 MeV, C3 = 0.71 MeV, C4 = 23.6 MeV

I don't quite understand it, but it worked to find the right answer. Thanks for your reply.

You should get the same answer using the mass defect, as Doc Al said. It takes into account all of the interactions without modeling them; it's just a direct measurement of the energy difference.

what is the proper definition of binding energy? Is it also called negative potential energy?

Related to Calculating Binding Energy of 24 Mg

1. How is binding energy calculated?

The binding energy of an atom is calculated by subtracting the total mass of its individual particles (protons, neutrons, and electrons) from its actual mass. This difference is then converted to energy using Einstein's famous equation, E = mc^2.

2. What is the significance of calculating binding energy?

Calculating binding energy helps us understand the stability of an atom and its nucleus. It also allows us to predict the amount of energy released or required in nuclear reactions.

3. How is the binding energy of 24 Mg specifically calculated?

The binding energy of 24 Mg is calculated by determining the mass of 24 Mg and subtracting the masses of its individual particles (12 protons, 12 neutrons, and 12 electrons) from it. This difference is then converted to energy using the equation mentioned above.

4. Is the binding energy of 24 Mg the same as other isotopes of magnesium?

No, the binding energy of an isotope depends on its specific number of protons, neutrons, and electrons. Therefore, different isotopes of an element will have different binding energies.

5. What factors affect the binding energy of an atom?

The main factors that affect binding energy are the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as the distance between them. The stronger the nuclear force between these particles, the higher the binding energy will be.