Calculating Bending Moment: 2b Question and Solution | Homework Equations

In summary, the problem involves calculating the moment and stresses in a given position using the flexure formula. The position of the neutral axis and second moment of area are provided, and the answers for maximum compression and tension are given. However, the answers are off by about 4 MPa and the conversation reveals that there is an additional 3.6 MPa for axial compression that needs to be accounted for using the combined stress formula. The mistake is corrected and the correct answers are confirmed.
mzha109

Homework Statement

The problem can be found here:
2422006-1.png

Sorry the picture is so small. I guess you can download it and then zoom in or something. The main question I'm interested in 2b. Calculating the moment.

position of neutral axis: 37.14mm
Second moment of area: 2.83 x 10^(-6)

Homework Equations

The flexure formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers for maximum compression : 58.4MPa and maximum tension: 34.5MPa. They're off by about 4Mpa respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get your numbers also.

Sorry I should have made it more obvious. The answers are:

Stress tensile=30.93 MPa, Stress compressive=-61.99 MPa.

I can't figure out why I'm wrong.

:smile:Me neither,so maybe they're wrong?

I hope not. It was an exam question. I'd imagine they'd be more careful.

Your answers are correct for bending alone, but there is an additional 3.6 MPa for the axial compression. In other words apply the combined stress formula N/A +- M/Z

pongo38 said:
Your answers are correct for bending alone, but there is an additional 3.6 MPa for the axial compression. In other words apply the combined stress formula N/A +- M/Z
Nice catch, thanks, we completely overlooked that.

pongo38 said:

Oh of course I can't believe I forgot that. Thankyou so much.

Related to Calculating Bending Moment: 2b Question and Solution | Homework Equations

What is a bending moment?

A bending moment is a measure of the internal forces acting on a structure, such as a beam or column, that causes it to bend or deform. It is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of application to the point of interest on the structure.

Why is bending moment important in engineering?

Bending moment is important in engineering because it helps determine the strength and stability of a structure. It is used in the design and analysis of structures to ensure that they can withstand the applied loads without breaking or failing.

How is bending moment calculated?

Bending moment is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of application to the point of interest on the structure. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The unit of bending moment is usually measured in units of force times length, such as newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

What factors affect bending moment?

The factors that affect bending moment include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the point of application to the point of interest, and the material properties of the structure, such as its size, shape, and strength. The location and type of supports also play a role in determining bending moment.

How is bending moment used in structural analysis?

In structural analysis, bending moment is used to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure. This information is then used to ensure that the structure is strong enough to withstand the applied loads and to make any necessary design changes to improve the structure's strength and stability.