Calculating Beam Separation in Stern-Gerlach Experiment

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the problem involves calculating the separation between two beams of hydrogen atoms exiting an oven with a temperature of 500 K and passing through a 0.5m region with a gradient of magnetic field of 20 Tm^{-1}. The formula F= -\mu \cdot \text{grad}B is used to calculate the spin of the atoms, which is found to be 0.25 mm. It is valid to assume that the hydrogen atoms are in ground state due to their small thermal energy compared to the energy required to reach the excited state. The accuracy of the calculation is confirmed by considering the strength of the applied magnetic field and the size of the region.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In an experiment of Stern-Gerlach, a beam of hydrogen atoms exit an oven with a temperature of 500 K and goes through a 0.5m region in which there's a gradiant of magnetic field of [itex]20 Tm^{-1}[/itex] whose direction is perpendicular to the beam. Calculate the separation between the beams when they leave the magnetic field.
Why is it valid to assume that the hidrogen atoms are in ground state?

Homework Equations

[itex]F= -\mu \cdot \text{grad}B[/itex].
[itex]E=\frac{3}{2}k_{B}T[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the formula given. How can you take the gradiant of a field rather than a scalar? Do they mean the divergence?
I calculated the thermal energy for an atom and it's about [itex]0.065 eV[/itex]. I know that in the ground state, the absolute value of the energy of the atom is about 13.6 eV. But I have no idea why a very small thermal energy means that the atoms are in ground state. Maybe because the atom requires about 4 eV to get into the excited state? That must be this.
I'd like some tip on how to solve the problem. Should I include the spin somehwere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so I checked out in http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/spin.html.
I used the formula (and understand it fully I think) that gives z and reached 0.25 mm. So overall the distance between the 2 beams is about 0.5 mm. It seems a bit small but I don't really have a good intuition on this. I know that the spin isn't so easy to detect so this might be right. After all 0.5 m for the applied field region is very small and 20 T is somehow near of the strongest magnetic field one can reach in a lab I think. So 0.5 mm could be right, could someone verify this?

Related to Calculating Beam Separation in Stern-Gerlach Experiment

What is Stern-Gerlach's exercise?

Stern-Gerlach's exercise is a laboratory experiment that was first performed in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It involves passing a beam of particles, typically silver atoms, through a non-uniform magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles.

What is the purpose of Stern-Gerlach's exercise?

The purpose of Stern-Gerlach's exercise is to demonstrate the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. It also provides evidence for the existence of intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, in subatomic particles.

How does Stern-Gerlach's exercise work?

In Stern-Gerlach's exercise, a beam of particles is passed through a non-uniform magnetic field, which causes the particles to experience a force. The direction of this force depends on the orientation of the particle's spin relative to the direction of the magnetic field. The particles are then separated into different beams according to their spin orientations.

What are the implications of Stern-Gerlach's exercise?

Stern-Gerlach's exercise has significant implications for quantum mechanics and our understanding of the subatomic world. It provides evidence for the quantization of angular momentum and the existence of spin in particles. It also supports the idea of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behavior.

What are some modern applications of Stern-Gerlach's exercise?

Stern-Gerlach's exercise is still used in modern experiments to study and manipulate the spin of particles. It has also been adapted for use in quantum computing, where the spin of particles can be used to store and manipulate information. Additionally, the principles of Stern-Gerlach's exercise are used in other experimental techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, which has numerous applications in chemistry, medicine, and materials science.