Calculating Bandgap Energy in Silicon Using Conductivity Measurements

In summary, the bandgap energy in silicon can be calculated using the equation ni = Ns(e^{\frac{-E}{2kT}}) and the conductivity measurements of an intrinsic silicon sample at two different temperatures. However, the values for ni and E are not given and may need to be obtained through further experimentation or research.
Darth Frodo

Homework Statement

The conductivity of an intrinsic silicon sample is found to be 1.02 mS.m-1 at 297.2 K
and 2.15 mS.m-1 at 307.9 K.
What is the bandgap energy in silicon?

Homework Equations

ni = Ns(e[itex]^{\frac{-E}{2kT}}[/itex])

[itex]\sigma[/itex] = enip + μn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a bit of trouble.

Is ni a function of Temperature?
I assume not because as T increases, more charge carriers become available.

Is Ns a function of Temperature?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume yes because it is the number of states at a given energy level.So I think the equation I will be using is:\sigma = eni(μp + μn)But I'm having trouble finding the values for ni and E.

Related to Calculating Bandgap Energy in Silicon Using Conductivity Measurements

What is semiconductor bandgap energy?

Semiconductor bandgap energy refers to the minimum amount of energy required to move an electron from the valence band to the conduction band in a semiconductor material.

Why is semiconductor bandgap energy important?

Semiconductor bandgap energy is important because it determines the type of electronic properties a material will have. A larger bandgap energy means the material is more insulating, while a smaller bandgap energy means the material is more conductive.

How is semiconductor bandgap energy measured?

Semiconductor bandgap energy can be measured using various techniques, such as photoluminescence spectroscopy, absorption spectroscopy, and electroluminescence. These techniques involve shining light or applying an electric field to the material and measuring the resulting energy changes.

What factors affect semiconductor bandgap energy?

The bandgap energy of a semiconductor material is primarily determined by its atomic structure and composition. Other factors that can affect bandgap energy include temperature, strain, and doping with impurities.

What are some applications of semiconductor bandgap energy?

Semiconductor bandgap energy is crucial in the design and development of electronic devices such as transistors, solar cells, and LEDs. It also plays a significant role in the field of optoelectronics, which involves the use of light to control and manipulate electrical currents in semiconductors.