Calculating Ball's Range on Incline 15 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the initial landing point of a ball kicked at an angle up an incline. The Range formula and finding the slope of the incline are considered, but ultimately it is recommended to approach the problem as a projectile motion problem with the x-axis along the incline and the y-axis perpendicular to it. This allows for the calculation of vx initial, vy initial, and the accelerations in the x and y directions, making it a simple projectile problem.
P.O.L.A.R

Homework Statement

A ball is kicked with initial speed 20 m/s and initial angle 40 degrees up an incline of angle 15 degrees. Assume that the ball leaves the ground a the base of the incline at [tex]x_{0}[/tex]=0 and [tex]y_{0}[/tex]=0. How far up the incline does the ball initially land (not how far horizontally or vertically but how far along the incline)?

Homework Equations

Range: [tex]R=(v^{2}_{0}/g)sin2\Theta_{0}[/tex]
y-[tex]y_{0}=(tan(\Theta_{0})(x-x_{0})-g(x-x_{0})^{2}/2(v_{0}cos\Theta_{0})^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what I tried was subtracting 15 from 40 and came up with 25 plugged it into the Range formula and went from got 31.3m. I think I am missing the the 15 degree incline and was wandering if I just multiplied the range by cos(15)?

I also thought that finding the slope of the 15 degree line then setting it equal to the trajectory formula I could find the point of intersection and do some trig from there. In order to do that I would have to find the slope of the line. I was wandering if [sin(15)/cos(15)]x would be the slope of the 15 degree incline?

Not sure which method works the first one seems like it could work but I was wondering if gravity changes when the angles are subtracted and if multipling by cos(15) is needed to make up for the incline?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend working the problem with the x-axis along the direction of the incline... the y-axis perpendicular to the incline... ie what is vx initial... what is vy initial... what is the acceleration in the x direction... what is the accleration in the y direction.

then it is just a straight projectile problem.

learningphysics said:
I recommend working the problem with the x-axis along the direction of the incline... the y-axis perpendicular to the incline... ie what is vx initial... what is vy initial... what is the acceleration in the x direction... what is the accleration in the y direction.

then it is just a straight projectile problem.

Ok that makes total sense thanks

Related to Calculating Ball's Range on Incline 15 Degrees

1. What is the formula for calculating the range of a ball on an incline of 15 degrees?

The formula for calculating the range of a ball on an incline of 15 degrees is: Range = (Initial velocity * sin(30))2 / g * cos(15).

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of the ball?

The initial velocity of the ball can be determined by using the formula: Initial velocity = √(Range * g * cos(15) / sin(30))

3. What is the value of g in the formula?

In this formula, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s2 on Earth.

4. Can this formula be used for any incline angle?

No, this formula is specific to an incline angle of 15 degrees. For other incline angles, the formula will be different.

5. How accurate is this formula in predicting the range of a ball on an incline of 15 degrees?

This formula is fairly accurate, but it may not account for all factors such as air resistance and surface friction. Additionally, the accuracy may vary depending on the initial velocity and other variables. It is always best to conduct experiments to verify the predicted range.