Calculating Ball Speed for Vertical Ascent

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed at which a ball must be thrown vertically upward in order to reach a height of 85.0 ft without considering air resistance. The equations for uniform accelerated motion are needed and the SUVAT equations are recommended for solving this type of problem. The kinematic equation X(f)=X(i)+V(i)t+(1/2)a(t^2) is used, with the initial velocity set to 0, to calculate the initial velocity needed for the ball to reach the desired height. The final velocity is also determined to be 0, while the acceleration is found to be -9.8 m/s^2.
B18

Homework Statement

With what speed (in feet/second) must a ball be thrown vertically upward in order to rise to a height of 85.0 ft, neglecting air resistance?

Homework Equations

g=9.8 m/(s^2)
speed=distance/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by setting speed=85.0ft/Δt
I understand I need to find the time duration.
I converted 85 ft to 25.908m.
Now I was thinking of multiplying 9.8 m/(s^2) by (1/25.908m) but that leaves me with seconds squared.

Am I missing a general formula for this problem? It seems like I don't have enough information at this point.

Thank you to anyone who can offer me any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the equations for uniform accelerated motion.
speed=distance/t works only for uniform motion, motion with constant speed.

Likes 1 person
So if i were to use a kinematic equation such as X(f)=V(ave)t+x(i) to find t how can I solve for t without knowing the velocity?

Try one of the SUVAT equations for motion subject to constant acceleration..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#SUVAT_equations

When I was at school it was worth memorising them as they help with all sorts of problems of this general type. Some 35 years later I can still remember equations 1,2 and 4.

Likes 1 person
You cannot.

But there is another kinematic equation.

Likes 1 person
X(f)=X(i)+V(i)t+(1/2)a(t^2)
Im going to say this one with initial velocity set to 0 because in this problem that is the case.

Figured it out. Used the kinematic equation above and set a=9.8m/s^2 thank you.

B18 said:
X(f)=X(i)+V(i)t+(1/2)a(t^2)
Im going to say this one with initial velocity set to 0 because in this problem that is the case.

just for completness.. The final velocity will be zero not the initial velocity.

So to ensure I understand this.. How does this look CWatters
Can I use V(f)^2=V(i)^2+2a(Xf-Xi)
solve for V(i)^2
V(i)^2=0-2(-9.8)(25.91)=22.54m/s
So in this problem a would be equal to -9.8 not positive??

Yes. The initial velocity is in the opposite direction to the acceleration due to gravity - so velocity and acceleration will have different signs.

Related to Calculating Ball Speed for Vertical Ascent

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a ball?

The formula for calculating the speed of a ball is speed = distance / time. This means that you divide the distance the ball has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

What units are used to measure speed?

The most commonly used units to measure speed are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as miles per hour (mph) and feet per second (ft/s) may also be used.

How can I measure the time it takes for a ball to travel a certain distance?

You can measure the time it takes for a ball to travel a certain distance by using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the timer when the ball is released and stop it when the ball reaches the desired distance.

What factors can affect the speed of a ball?

The speed of a ball can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, friction, and the surface it is traveling on. The mass and shape of the ball can also impact its speed.

Is there a difference between speed and velocity?

Yes, there is a difference between speed and velocity. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Therefore, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.