Calculating Ball Height from Horizontal Force: Newton's Second Law Explained

• Thread starter ippo90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, the billiard ball will slide (at velocity v0) while spinning, but after a short time, friction will reduce the spin, and the ball will start rolling (at velocity (9/7)v0).
ippo90
Exams tomorow! please help

Homework Statement

A billiard ball is hit with a horizontal force F. The force hits the ball with the height h over the ball's center. the initial velocity is v0 and the the velocity afterward is (9/7)v0. Show that the height h is (4/5)R, where R is the radii of the ball.

Homework Equations

Newtons second law: Fdt=mdv

momentum: t=r x F=Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand this. please help. Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ippo90! :smile:

initially, the ball will slide (at velocity v0) while spinning, but after a short time, friction will reduce the spin, and the ball will start rolling (at velocity (9/7)v0) :wink:

Thank you for the reply. The problem is I don't know where to start. Can you help me?

just ignore my last post. I thought about what you said in you post, and it came out=) Thank you for your kind help.

one thing I not sure of is that when I integrated the torque i got something like

hFt=Iw

where h is height, t is time and w is the angul. velocity. here I chose the center as the point of momentum. but afterward I have to use that the angular momentum (L) is conserved. but this means that I have to choose the contact point as the poiint of momentum. why can I do this (why not)?

ippo90 said:
just ignore my last post. I thought about what you said in you post, and it came out=) Thank you for your kind help.

one thing I not sure of is that when I integrated the torque i got something like

hFt=Iw

where h is height, t is time and w is the angul. velocity. here I chose the center as the point of momentum. but afterward I have to use that the angular momentum (L) is conserved. but this means that I have to choose the contact point as the poiint of momentum. why can I do this (why not)?

It would be nice to see the problem worked out in detail.

Related to Calculating Ball Height from Horizontal Force: Newton's Second Law Explained

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How can you calculate ball height from horizontal force using Newton's Second Law?

To calculate the height of a ball from a given horizontal force, you will need to know the mass of the ball, the acceleration due to gravity, and the horizontal force applied. You can then use the formula h = (F * d) / (m * g) where h is the height, F is the horizontal force, d is the distance traveled, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What units should be used when calculating ball height from horizontal force using Newton's Second Law?

When using the formula h = (F * d) / (m * g), the units for mass should be in kilograms (kg), the units for distance should be in meters (m), and the units for force should be in Newtons (N). The acceleration due to gravity, g, has a unit of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What are some real-world applications of calculating ball height from horizontal force using Newton's Second Law?

This concept can be applied in sports such as baseball, where the height of a ball can be calculated based on the force applied by the pitcher and the distance it travels. It can also be used in engineering to design roller coasters or other rides that use horizontal forces to propel objects vertically.

Are there any limitations or factors that may affect the accuracy of calculating ball height from horizontal force using Newton's Second Law?

Yes, there are certain limitations and factors that may affect the accuracy of these calculations. These include air resistance, which can affect the distance traveled by a ball, and the elasticity of the ball, which can affect the force applied and the resulting height. Additionally, the surface on which the ball is traveling may also impact the results.