Calculating Average Velocity for a Bike Ride

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate average velocity based on the given variables of time and distance traveled at different speeds. The equation used is Vavg = (df - di) / (tf - ti), where Vavg is the average velocity, df is the final distance, di is the initial distance, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time. By plugging in the given values, the average velocity is calculated to be 11.25km/h.
mkylman

Homework Statement

You ride your bike for 1.5h @ avg velocity of 10km/h, then for 30min @ 15km/h
What is you average velocity?

So I think that the variables are this

Vf=15km/h(.000004m/s)
Vi=10km/h(.000003m/s)
Tf=90m(5400s)
Tf=30m(1800s)

Homework Equations

That's what I'm asking -_-

I think that it is
Code:
V[sub]avg[/sub] = d[sub]f[/sub] - d[sub]i[/sub]
       ------
       t[sub]f[/sub] - t[sub]i[/sub]

The Attempt at a Solution

everything I try I get gross decimal numbers -_- Isn't there an easier way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0.000004m/sec is nothing like 15km/hr. I hope you are not using that. Just work in km and hr. You got the right equation though. How far did you travel in all and how long did it take you in all? The quotient is the average velocity.

so to get the total distance I'd have to do

d = t/v

1.5h/10kmh = 15km
.5h/15kmh = 7.5km
overall d = 22.5km
overall t = 2h

so my average velocity is
Code:
v = d/t
v = 22.5km/h
    --------
       2h
v = 11.25km/h

^ that?

Last edited:
^ That! But I've never seen anyone write / for multiplication before. Don't you mean like 1.5hr*10km/hr=15km?

yeah my bad -_- I hadn't realized it til afterwards; I have no idea what I was typing ^_^

Thank you so much man!

Related to Calculating Average Velocity for a Bike Ride

What is the average velocity equation?

The average velocity equation is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

Why is average velocity important in science?

Average velocity is important in science because it helps us understand the rate at which an object is moving. This information is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives a general overview of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides more specific information at a particular point.

Can the average velocity equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the average velocity equation can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or curved. As long as the distance and time can be measured, the average velocity equation can be applied.

What are the units for average velocity?

The units for average velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), depending on the unit of distance and time used in the equation. It is important to make sure the units are consistent to get an accurate measurement of velocity.