Calculating Average Speed & Time for a Dot on a Spinning Motor

In summary, the task is to determine the average speed and the time for one revolution of a dot on a spinning motor. The necessary information is the distance of the dot from the center of the motor and the number of flashes per minute from a strobe light. The circumference can be calculated using the distance, and the time between flashes is equal to the time for one revolution.
sportzmaniac

Homework Statement

I need to determine the average speed of a dot on a spinning motor and also the time it takes for teh dot to make on revolution. Using a strobe light I determined I needed to do 3959.2 flashes/min in order to make the dot stay in place. The dot is 6.9 cm away from the center of the motor However, I do not know how to use this in order to calculate time and I am stuck

Homework Equations

average speed = distance traveled (cm)/ time sec

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the 6.90 cm, i determined the circumference is 43.4 cm, and I need to use this in calculating the speed someone. However, I do not know how to use this info and the flashes/min to find either the average speed in cm/sec or the time it takes for one revolution. I need help asap please!

Physics news on Phys.org

The time between flashes is the time for one revolution. Say you have 2 flashes/min then the time between flashes is 1/2 minute. Say you have 4 flashes/min, then the time between flashes is 1/4 min. Get it?

I believe so, thank you

Related to Calculating Average Speed & Time for a Dot on a Spinning Motor

1. How do you calculate the average speed of a dot on a spinning motor?

To calculate the average speed of a dot on a spinning motor, you would need to measure the distance the dot travels over a given time period. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the average speed. For example, if the dot travels 10 meters in 5 seconds, the average speed would be 2 meters per second.

2. What are the units of measurement for average speed?

The units of measurement for average speed are distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or miles per hour (mph).

3. How does the speed of the motor affect the average speed of the dot?

The speed of the motor directly affects the average speed of the dot. The faster the motor spins, the faster the dot will travel and therefore, the higher the average speed will be. Similarly, if the motor slows down, the dot will also slow down, resulting in a lower average speed.

4. Can you calculate the average time it takes for the dot to complete one full rotation on the spinning motor?

Yes, you can calculate the average time for one full rotation by dividing the total time by the number of rotations. For example, if the motor spins for 10 seconds and completes 5 rotations, the average time for one full rotation would be 2 seconds.

5. How does the distance between the dot and the center of the spinning motor affect the average speed?

The distance between the dot and the center of the spinning motor does not affect the average speed. As long as the motor is spinning at a constant speed, the average speed of the dot will remain the same regardless of its distance from the center.