Calculating Average Power of 130V RMS Generator Circuit

In summary, the task is to find the average power consumed by a circuit consisting of a generator with an rms voltage of 130V connected in series to a resistor of 3.65k\Omega and a capacitor of 3.00\muF, using the frequency of 47.5Hz and a phase angle of 17 degrees. The average power can be calculated using the formula Pavg = (Vrms/Z)VrmsCos(17), where Z is the magnitude of the impedance. After recalculating the values, the correct answer is found to be 4.23 W.
Xels

Homework Statement

A generator with an rms voltage of 130V is connected in series to a resistor 3.65k[tex]\Omega[/tex] and a capacitor 3.00[tex]\mu[/tex]F.

Using the frequency found in part A (47.5Hz), find the average power consumed by this circuit.

[tex]\phi[/tex] = 17degrees

Homework Equations

Latex isn't working for me so I'm sorry for the formatting

Pavg = (Vrms/Z)VrmsCos(17)

Z=((36502+(1/(2*pi*47.5Hz*3.00*10-6Farad))2)(1/2)

Pavg = (Vrms/Z)VrmsCos(17)

Pavg = .1111 W

The answer is 4.23 W

I'm just trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell where you went wrong because you haven't supplied much in the way of intermediate results. For example, what value did you get for Z, the magnitude of the impedance?

When I compute (Vrms/Z)VrmsCos(17) I get the expected answer.

After punching it through again I got the correct answer; I went wrong in the way I set up Hz; punching in 47.5^-1, since Hz = S^-1; but that's redundant...

Related to Calculating Average Power of 130V RMS Generator Circuit

1. How do you calculate the average power of a 130V RMS generator circuit?

To calculate the average power of a 130V RMS generator circuit, you will need to use the formula P = V^2/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. In this case, V will be 130V, and R will be the total resistance of the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the average power of a generator circuit?

Calculating the average power of a generator circuit allows you to determine the amount of power being delivered to a circuit. This information is important for understanding the performance and efficiency of the circuit, as well as for troubleshooting and making improvements.

3. What is the difference between average power and instantaneous power?

Average power is the total amount of power delivered to a circuit over a certain period of time, while instantaneous power is the power delivered at a specific moment in time. Average power takes into account fluctuations in power over time, while instantaneous power only reflects the power at a particular instant.

4. How does the RMS value of a voltage affect the average power calculation?

The RMS (root mean square) value of a voltage is a way to measure the effective value of an alternating current (AC) or voltage. It takes into account the amplitude and frequency of the signal. When calculating average power, using the RMS value of the voltage is important in accurately representing the power delivered to the circuit.

5. Can the average power of a 130V RMS generator circuit be increased?

Yes, the average power of a 130V RMS generator circuit can be increased by decreasing the resistance in the circuit. This can be achieved by using larger or more efficient components, reducing the length of wires, or improving the design of the circuit. It is important to consider the limitations and safety precautions when attempting to increase the average power of a circuit.