Calculating Average Force on Landing: Understanding Momentum and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the average force exerted on the ground when jumping and landing. The formula for average force is change in momentum divided by change in time, but the time used should be the time in contact with the ground before stopping. There may be some error in the method used, but it is eventually solved by adding the acceleration due to gravity to the deceleration.
Joza
Average force is change in momentum, divided by change in time, correct?

So when I land on the ground after jumping, how can I calculate the average force I exert on the ground, (while I decelerate from velocity at moment I touch ground to zero velocity).

I calculated my velocity just when I touch ground. Clearly my final is zero, so my change in momentum is just my initial velocity times my mass. Divide this by the time taken, found from initial velocity and acceleration, and I should get average force, right?

But it doesn't work out to the value I should get. Am I going wrong in my idea here? Should I be doing it a different way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct, but:

To find the average force you exert on the ground you want to find the change in momentum you experience, while interacting with the ground. So, the change in momentum while interacting with the ground would be:

[tex]\Delta p= mv_f - m(0)[/tex] where v_f is the speed right before you hit the ground, and, obviously, zero is the speed right after you hit the ground.

Then, the time in the equation for average force would be the time you are in contact with the ground before you stop, not how long it took you to fall. Does this make sense?

I think you misunderstood me.

The time I am using is the time I was in contact with the ground.
I have the distance fallen, so I used the kinematic equations of constant acceleration to work out my velocity when I just touch the ground.

I then worked out my acceleration, (from a distance: bend in the knees: I would be accelerating over this distance) to zero velocity.

Using these I worked out the time.

OK then those would be the correct values. It could be that your method has some source of error in it.

MMmmm yea, thanks for the input anyway. I'll get back to this thread after i have a closer look!

Nope, it's still not right.

I have velocity at moment I touch ground. I have acceleration (constant). I have the distance I accelerate over. I have my mass.

But my answer is not right. I don't know where I can possibly be going wrong!

I solved it. I had to ADD acceleration due to gravity to my deceleration.

I m not actually sure why though Anyone explain?

Joza said:
I solved it. I had to ADD acceleration due to gravity to my deceleration.

I m not actually sure why though Anyone explain?
F_net(average) = m(dv/dt). The net force includes both your weight and the force from the ground.

Related to Calculating Average Force on Landing: Understanding Momentum and Time

1. How do you calculate the average force on landing?

The average force on landing can be calculated by dividing the change in momentum by the time it takes for the object to come to a stop. This can be represented by the equation F = Δp / Δt, where F is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time interval.

2. Why is understanding momentum and time important for calculating average force on landing?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is directly related to its mass and velocity. Time is a crucial factor in determining the change in momentum, as it tells us how long it takes for the object to come to a stop. By understanding these concepts, we can accurately calculate the average force on landing, which is essential for safety and understanding the impact of an object.

3. What is the relationship between momentum and force on landing?

Momentum and force are closely related, as force is what causes a change in an object's momentum. The greater the momentum of an object, the more force is needed to bring it to a stop. This means that the average force on landing will be higher for objects with a larger momentum.

4. What units are used for calculating average force on landing?

The units for calculating average force on landing are typically kilograms (kg) for mass, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and seconds (s) for time. This will result in the unit of force being expressed in Newtons (N).

5. Can other factors affect the calculation of average force on landing?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculation of average force on landing. These include air resistance, the angle of impact, and the surface on which the object lands. These factors may change the velocity and time interval, therefore affecting the overall calculation of average force on landing.