Calculating Average Acceleration for Changing Velocity and Direction

In summary, the conversation involved calculating the average acceleration of a car that moves north with constant speed for 5 minutes and then turns and continues at a different speed for 1 minute. The calculation involved finding the change in velocity and dividing it by the time interval. The final answer for average acceleration was given in units of miles per hour squared.
ognik
I would just appreciate someone checking this please, I'm not sure of my answer ...

Q: Car moves North with constant speed 50 mph for 5 mins. It then turns 45 degree east and continues at 55 mph for 1 min. Find ave. acceleration.

For x, y components, Cos45 = Sin45 = 0.7, so for the 2nd part $v_x = v_y = 55 \times 0.7 = 38.9 $ mph for 1 min

So, $ a_x (ave) = \frac{\Delta v_x}{\Delta t} = \frac{38.9 - 0}{5 + 1}(60) = 389 $ and $ a_y (ave) = \frac{\Delta v_y}{\Delta t} = \frac{38.9 - 55}{5 + 1}(60) = -161 $ ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
I would just appreciate someone checking this please, I'm not sure of my answer ...

Q: Car moves North with constant speed 50 mph for 5 mins. It then turns 45 degree east and continues at 55 mph for 1 min. Find ave. acceleration.

For x, y components, Cos45 = Sin45 = 0.7, so for the 2nd part $v_x = v_y = 55 \times 0.7 = 38.9 $ mph for 1 min

So, $ a_x (ave) = \frac{\Delta v_x}{\Delta t} = \frac{38.9 - 0}{5 + 1}(60) = 389 $ and $ a_y (ave) = \frac{\Delta v_y}{\Delta t} = \frac{38.9 - 55}{5 + 1}(60) = -161 $ ?

What units do you think your average acceleration has?

Hi - was not really worrying about getting the units strictly correct, just wanted to make sure I understood how to apply the average in this situation (where to me the average acceleration seems a bit meaningless)... but the units should be mph ph or $\frac{miles}{hour^2}$

Average acceleration is change in velocity divided by the time. Here the initial velocity is $v_0=(0,50)$ and the final velocity is $v_1=(38.89,38.89)$ in units of mph, and the time interval is $6$ minutes or $1/10$ hours.

So the average acceleration is:
$$
\overline{a}=\frac{(38.89,38.89)-(0,50)}{1/10}=10(38.89,-11.11)=(388.9,111.1) \mbox{ mph/h}
$$

So my method seems ok thanks (I noticed I used 55 instead of 50 for the y component).

Related to Calculating Average Acceleration for Changing Velocity and Direction

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of the change in velocity over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration measures the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration measures the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time.

3. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

4. How do you solve an average acceleration problem?

To solve an average acceleration problem, you need to identify the given values for initial velocity, final velocity, and change in time. Then, plug these values into the formula a = (vf - vi) / t and solve for the average acceleration.

5. What are the units for average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.