Calculating Atomic Bomb Shockwave and Blast Radius Formula

In summary, the conversation is about a search for a formula that calculates the shockwave and blast radius of an atomic or nuclear bomb, as well as the change in effects over time. The speaker shares that their search has been unsuccessful so far and asks for help. They also mention a link that may be helpful for those interested in this topic.
armandop
Hi everyone. I've been searching google for a clear formula and formulas for atomic/nuclear bomb shockwave and blast radius. I haven't come across anything remotely close that details the effects of time on the effects of the bomb as it crosses a set distance. Can some one help me with the below?

some formula that calculates shockwave from bomb.
formula calculating bomb blast radius.
fomula that calculates change in effect/power of bomb as time passes.

I would really really appreciate it since my search for the last few weeks as come almost empty handed.

Thank you
Armando P.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an old (2003) thread by a one-time-poster. There is a lot of information available from internet searches now that probably wasn't available when the thread was first posted. I did a quick search [nuclear bomb shockwave and blast radius] which produced many hits.

If anyone is interested, this might be a good place to start
https://nuclearweaponsedproj.mit.ed...dels/nuclear-weapons-blast-effects-calculator

Likes Astronuc

Related to Calculating Atomic Bomb Shockwave and Blast Radius Formula

1. How is the atomic bomb shockwave and blast radius calculated?

The formula for calculating the atomic bomb shockwave and blast radius is complex and takes into account several factors, including the bomb's yield, air density, and terrain. It is typically represented by the following equation: R = 1.4 (Y/P)^(1/3), where R is the radius in meters, Y is the yield in kilotons, and P is the air density in kilograms per cubic meter.

2. What is the difference between the shockwave and blast radius of an atomic bomb?

The shockwave of an atomic bomb is the rapidly expanding wave of high-pressure air that is created by the explosion. This can cause severe damage to buildings and other structures. The blast radius, on the other hand, is the distance from the center of the explosion to the point where the pressure drops to a safe level. This is a more accurate representation of the area that will experience the full force of the blast.

3. Can the atomic bomb shockwave and blast radius be affected by external factors?

Yes, the shockwave and blast radius can be affected by external factors such as wind speed and direction, terrain, and altitude. These factors can alter the shape and size of the blast, making it difficult to accurately predict the exact radius of destruction.

4. Is there a way to estimate the damage caused by an atomic bomb based on its shockwave and blast radius?

Yes, there are various models and simulations that can estimate the potential damage caused by an atomic bomb based on its shockwave and blast radius. However, these are only estimates and the actual damage may vary depending on other factors such as the type of bomb, the target's structure, and population density.

5. How do scientists determine the yield of an atomic bomb?

The yield of an atomic bomb is determined by measuring the amount of energy released in the explosion. This can be done through various methods, including seismic readings and radiation measurements. Scientists also use historical data and computer simulations to estimate the yield of an atomic bomb.