Calculating Area on Sphere: Unit Sphere & Rings

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the area of a ring on the surface of a unit sphere using spherical coordinates. It is suggested to construct a new coordinate system with the z-axis passing through the center of the sphere and the center of the circle, and to use the formula \phi= \frac{2\pi r}{R} for the circle's radius. For the general case, numerical approximation is recommended due to the potential complexity of the boundary of the area. However, some theoretical base is needed for this approach.
Vrbic
How to calculate some general area on a sphere for simplicity the unit sphere. Let's say I have a ball and I draw a ring on it. What is its area? I guess I need some initial point (some coordinate). Let's take a spherical coordinates with r=1. Element of area is [itex] \sin(\theta) d \theta d \phi [/itex]. But how to define (describe) a ring? I guess I need some function [itex]\theta(\phi) [/itex] and than integrate over ...what, all or some separate region of [itex]\phi[/itex]? Or what would you suggest?

Thank you for your advice and help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can always construct a new coordinate system with the z-axis passing through the center of the sphere and the center of the circle on the surface of the sphere. Given that the sphere has radius R, a "circle" of radius r with center on the z-axis is given by [itex]\phi= \frac{2\pi r}{R}[/itex]. The area of that circle is
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi r}{R}} sin(\theta)d\phi d\theta[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
You can always construct a new coordinate system with the z-axis passing through the center of the sphere and the center of the circle on the surface of the sphere. Given that the sphere has radius R, a "circle" of radius r with center on the z-axis is given by [itex]\phi= \frac{2\pi r}{R}[/itex]. The area of that circle is
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi r}{R}} sin(\theta)d\phi d\theta[/tex].
Thank you for your post, I understand , but it was just example, the ring on the ball. I would like to have some procedure for general case of area.

For the general case, because the boundary of the area may be strange, I thing numerical approximation is a feasible that can be considered.

tommyxu3 said:
For the general case, because the boundary of the area may be strange, I thing numerical approximation is a feasible that can be considered.
I agree with numerical aprox., but I have to know some theoretical base.

Related to Calculating Area on Sphere: Unit Sphere & Rings

1. How is the area of a unit sphere calculated?

The area of a unit sphere can be calculated using the formula A = 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere and π is a mathematical constant equal to approximately 3.14.

2. What is the formula for calculating the area of a ring on a sphere?

The formula for calculating the area of a ring on a sphere is A = 2πrh, where r is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the ring (also known as the distance between the center of the sphere and the center of the ring).

3. Can the area of a sphere be measured in square units?

No, the area of a sphere is measured in square units just like any other surface area measurement. However, the units used may vary depending on the context (e.g. square meters, square feet, etc.).

4. How do you calculate the area of a spherical cap?

The area of a spherical cap can be calculated using the formula A = 2πrh, where r is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the cap (also known as the distance between the center of the sphere and the top of the cap).

5. Is there a difference in calculating the area of a sphere and a circle?

Yes, there is a difference in calculating the area of a sphere and a circle. A circle is a two-dimensional shape, so its area can be calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle. A sphere, on the other hand, is a three-dimensional shape, so its area is calculated using the formula A = 4πr^2.