Travelling at the speed of light

In summary, according to special relativity, the speed of light cannot be reached by any massive object. Still traveling at subluminal speed can offer very interesting effects since all the light seen by such a fast observer would be changing both in color and direction.
Koveras00
What will the world appears to a observer traveling at the speed of light?

Science news on Phys.org
An observer cannot move at the speed of light.
Let's suppose it is moving really near to the speed of light.
He will see everything shrinking in the direction of its movement by the factor of [squ](1-(v2/c2)) .

Originally posted by Koveras00
What will the world appears to a observer traveling at the speed of light?

As STAii already explained, according to special relativity, the speed of light cannot be reached by any massive object. Still traveling at subluminal speed can offer very interesting effects since all the light seen by such a fast observer would be changing both in color and direction.
All the light coming from the rear of the observer would redshift, all the light coming from the front would blueshift.
But the most interesting effect would be that all rays of light would be seen in different directions: the light coming from any direction will start appearing just as if it was coming from a direction closer to the front of us (direction of velocity). At a high enough speed all the light would appear in front of us, until closing into a single point.

I remember a really nice book by some Kaufmann guy on this subject... not much more.

Ask more if I did not make myself clear (is pretty late here... and not only that, ;) ), Dario

Originally posted by dg

But the most interesting effect would be that all rays of light would be seen in different directions: the light coming from any direction will start appearing just as if it was coming from a direction closer to the front of us (direction of velocity). At a high enough speed all the light would appear in front of us, until closing into a single point.

I remember a really nice book by some Kaufmann guy on this subject... not much more.

I do not understand this part. ANd may i ask how the sequence of events differ frm the moving observer and the stationary one?

And one more, what is the title of this book?

remember

Maximum speed cannot be acheived through moment of an object body. Only waves can, because in a wave no atoms physically move but is caused by transferring an energy from atom-to-atom (rember the atoms vibrate). It's not impossib;e to make a rocket travel at a speed of light but will cause more complex problem. Many problems come ito action such as speed varying on air pressure. Till today's date wave is known as the most effeciant way to tranfer energy.

Last edited:
wouldn't the world appear to be blueshifted?

1. How fast is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. Is it possible for anything to travel at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light. However, massless particles such as photons can travel at this speed.

3. What would happen if an object could travel at the speed of light?

If an object with mass were able to travel at the speed of light, it would experience infinite mass and time dilation, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

4. Can we ever reach the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, it is not possible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light. However, we can get close to it, such as with particles in particle accelerators.

5. How does travelling at the speed of light affect time?

Travelling at the speed of light would cause time to slow down significantly due to time dilation. This means that time would pass slower for the object travelling at this speed compared to an observer at rest.