Calculating Angular Velocity with Moment of Inertia & Torque

In summary, a disc with a moment of inertia of 23.4 kg m2 is rotated about its center by a torque of T. After {t} seconds, it has a kinetic energy of 632.2 J. Using the equation KE=0.5*I*w^2, the angular velocity can be calculated for {b} seconds. The direction of a torque may be defined conventionally, but it does exist as a turning force. The angular momentum can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular velocity.
kingyof2thejring
A disc of moment of inertia 23.4 kg m2 is made to rotate about an axis through its centre by a torque of T . The disc starts from rest, and after {t} s has kinetic energy 632.2 J. Calculate the angular velocity (in rad s-1) after {b} s.

if i work out the angular velocity from the KE=0.5*I*w^2 this equation how do i use it work out the angular momentum from t to b.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem doesn't actually ask for angular momentum, but you should be able to figure out the angular momentum from the moment of interia, and the angular velocity.

I have a doubt. Does something called as torque energy really exist. I have understood that torque is something imagined and does not actually exist fromthe explanation given to me on the post "right hand rule" in Gen Phys. Someone please explain.

What you are calling "torque energy" is just rotational kinetic energy. Why in the world would you think that torque is just something "imagined"?

I interpreted that right hand rule can be replaced by lefthand rule, so the direction of things like torque isn't fixed. It is just a convention. Anyway the explanation wasn't clear to me. The above reasons led me to the conclusion that the torque is just something imagined and does not really exist. I understood that I am through a wrong way. Please direct me in proper way.

vaishakh:
Direction of a torque may be defined in a conventional way but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Torques are just turning forces (or coupled linear forces). Have you never seen anything turn or rotate? (rhetorical question). Of course torques exist.

kingyof2thejring:
ang momentum = moment of inertia * ang velocity
(you have everything you need for the calculation)

Related to Calculating Angular Velocity with Moment of Inertia & Torque

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is usually denoted by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the moment of inertia and how does it relate to angular velocity?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The moment of inertia is directly proportional to angular velocity, meaning that as the moment of inertia increases, the object's angular velocity decreases.

4. How does torque affect angular velocity?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate. It is directly related to angular velocity through the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration. As torque increases, angular velocity also increases.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. This indicates that an object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen axis. A positive angular velocity indicates counterclockwise rotation, while a negative angular velocity indicates clockwise rotation.