Calculating Angular Velocity of a Conical Pendulum | 14.6 kg, 0.5 m length

In summary, the conversation discusses a conical pendulum problem involving a mass on a string and the angle at which it swings. The mass and length of the string are given, and the question is to find the speed of the mass. The conversation also touches upon the inclusion of a friction term in the equation, with one person asking for clarification and another person mentioning the traditional assumption of a frictionless pivot in pendulum problems.
sirfinklstin

Homework Statement

Consider the conical pendulum, a mass on the end of a string, with the other end of the string fixed to the ceiling. Given the proper push, this pendulum can swing in a circle at an angle theta of 25.5 degrees with respect to the vertical, maintaining the same height throughout its motion. If the mass of the pendulum M is 14.6 kg and the length of the string L is 0.5 m, what is the speed of the mass as it swings?

Homework Equations

v = (coefficient of static friction x Rg)^1/2.
R = .215 m

I am not sure how to find the coefficient of static friction here, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sirfinklstin said:

Homework Statement

Consider the conical pendulum, a mass on the end of a string, with the other end of the string fixed to the ceiling. Given the proper push, this pendulum can swing in a circle at an angle theta of 25.5 degrees with respect to the vertical, maintaining the same height throughout its motion. If the mass of the pendulum M is 14.6 kg and the length of the string L is 0.5 m, what is the speed of the mass as it swings?

Homework Equations

v = (coefficient of static friction x Rg)^1/2.
R = .215 m

I am not sure how to find the coefficient of static friction here, any help is appreciated.

Why would friction be involved in a pendulum problem?

The friction was part of an equation in my physics book, but if you have another equation that would be great.

sirfinklstin said:
The friction was part of an equation in my physics book, but if you have another equation that would be great.

A friction term in a simple pendulum equation? Could you please post the equation and the description of the equation?

I believe that traditional pendulums are considered to have a frictionless pivot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

Related to Calculating Angular Velocity of a Conical Pendulum | 14.6 kg, 0.5 m length

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change in angular displacement over time. It is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular motion.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rotational speed of an object, while linear velocity measures the straight-line speed of an object. Angular velocity is expressed in radians per second, while linear velocity is expressed in meters per second.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ / Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

4. How does angular velocity affect centripetal force?

Angular velocity is directly proportional to centripetal force, meaning that increasing the angular velocity of an object will also increase the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path.

5. How can I measure angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures the rate of change in angular displacement. It can also be calculated using the formula ω = Δθ / Δt, if the change in angular displacement and time are known.