Calculating Angular Velocity at the Midpoint of a Bar

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular velocity of the midpoint of a bar. There is a debate about whether the midpoint can have angular velocity and it is ultimately determined that for a rigid body, all points have the same angular velocity except for the center point which has no tangential velocity.
teng125
does anybody knows how to find the angular velocity of the midpoint of a bar??

pls help...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're going to have to provide additional information...

no,let say the angular velocity of a bar is given but what is the angular velocity of the midpoint of the bar itself

i would say that the midpoint has the same angular velocity.

A single point can't have angular velocity about itself, can it? (assuming the "midpoint" is also the pivot point)

I do believe that for a rigid body, the angulare velocity is the same for all points on the body.

But the center point is not moving, so it has no angular velocity. I guess it doen't really matter since the point has no mass.

I think that the axis, which runs through the point of rotation, will be rotating, although since r = o, it will have no tangential velocity.

actually, the center point is moving. it just happens to be spinning in the same place.

the centre point moves

A point can't "spin." A very, very small object can, but not a point.

this is a stupid argument :-p

i thought id enter it, but... nah...

i agree... i think i'll stop now.

Related to Calculating Angular Velocity at the Midpoint of a Bar

1. What is angular velocity of midpoint?

Angular velocity of midpoint is the measure of the rate of change of the angular position of a point located at the midpoint of an object's rotation. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity of midpoint calculated?

Angular velocity of midpoint can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position of the midpoint by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is given by the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where Δθ is the change in angular position and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular position, while linear velocity is a measure of the rate of change of linear position. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. How does angular velocity affect rotational motion?

Angular velocity plays a crucial role in determining the speed and direction of rotational motion. A higher angular velocity results in a faster rotational speed and a lower angular velocity results in a slower rotational speed. The direction of angular velocity also determines the direction of rotation.

5. What factors affect the angular velocity of a rotating object?

The angular velocity of a rotating object is affected by the moment of inertia, which is the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. Other factors that can affect angular velocity include the applied torque, the object's mass and shape, and the presence of external forces such as friction.