Calculating Angular Velocity and Energy Dissipation After Collision and Rotation

In summary, after the collision, the poles have a linear momentum that is not conserved, but the angular momentum is conserved. The work done to maintain the system in equilibrium is accounted for by the energy lost in the collision.
Breston
Hi there, right now I am making my first steps towards physics, and I would appreciate your help to solve some of my problems. As you surely have already noticed, I'm not english and I guarantee I'll make thousands of errors. Should I make any, please, try to always advise me, and if it's not too annoying, a correction would be neat.

Homework Statement

Two identical poles of length L and mass M are secured at one extremity they ave in common, so that they move and rotate integrally and they make an angle of [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
At the beginning, they are located so that the common vertex is at the origin, the poles are oriented along the positive x and y-axis and they may only rotate over the origin (around the Z axis).
A particle of mass m and initial velocity [itex]\vec{v_i} = 2.3\ \hat{x}\ \frac{m}{s}[/itex]
is directed toward the free extremity of the pole along the y axis. After the collision, its velocity is [itex]\vec{v_f} = 0.7\ \hat{x}\ \frac{m}{s}[/itex].
Friction does not exist (or at least not in this problem ;) )
Calculate the angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] of the poles after the collision and the mechanic energy dissipated during the collision.

[itex]M = 0.45 kg[/itex]
[itex]L=0.30 m[/itex]
[itex]m=0.12 kg[/itex]

Homework Equations

Energy conservation..

The Attempt at a Solution

From kinetic energy conservation I think this should be enough to resolve:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{O}\omega^2[/itex]
with no energy dissipated during the collision.
Of course I'm wrong and there IS energy dispersion, though I have no idea how to account of it..

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is not conserved, but some other physical properties are. What conservation laws can you apply here?

Likes 1 person
Well, maybe I can apply laws of conservation of momentum.
Considering the nature of the system (poles+particle), we can't state that linear momentum is conserved, since the poles are not free to translate, they can only rotate. I know I should consider angular momentum, but first please help me clear this dilemma that is bugging me.
The system has zero external force, meaning the derivative of the linear momentum with respect to time is always zero. This means that linear momentum is actuallly a constant, and therefore conserved. Yet the poles can only rotate, so linear momentum must not be conserved..
What is this supposed to mean? How does the formula [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}(t) = \sum \vec{F}_{ext}[/itex] account of the change in linear momentum? Maybe some external forces appear only during collision?

Ok I think I have a clear idea now. Please confirm my reasoning.
The bind with the "floor" is not part of my system and therefore it produces an external force during the collision, binding the poles to the origin.
If the collision lasts [itex]\Delta t[/itex], then, during the collision:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}(t)_{avg} = \frac{\vec{p}_f-\vec{p}_i}{\Delta t}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle \sum\vec{F}_{ext,avg} = \frac{\vec{p}_f-\vec{p}_i}{\Delta t}[/itex].
Now, [itex]\vec{p}_i = m\vec{v}_i[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}_f = m\vec{v}_i+2M\vec{v}_t[/itex], where [itex]\vec{v}_t[/itex] is the linear velocity of the poles after the collision, which I guess can be calculated by detecting the distance [itex]r[/itex] of the mass center of the two poles from the origin:
[itex]v_t = r\omega[/itex], and of course the direction is tangent to the circumference of the motion of the mass center.
If I find out [itex]\omega[/itex], I have the average force the bind produces over the poles, and this force is what produces a work:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2-(\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2+\frac{1}{2}I_O\omega^2)[/itex], which is the energy dissipated (the answer to the second question).

[itex]\omega[/itex] can be easily found applying the law of conservation of angular momentum, which holds since the external force is applied on the origin and thus makes no twisting moment.

Actually, ##\vec{p}_f = m\vec{v}_i+2M\vec{v}_t## is not correct. The poles move in opposite directions, so their linear momenta cancel! And for the particle you want to use ##\vec{v}_f##. Looks as if momentum conservation is violated, which isn't happening, however. As you note, the rotation axle (or whatever) exercises force too. Phew...

And now for the elegant, smart approach you propose: Take the z axis as axis of rotation and there is no external torque from this axle! Angular momentum conservation helps you find ##\omega##. The bulk of the work is to get ##I_0## expressed in L and M..

Just to be clear: after the collision the axle also has to exercise a force to keep the -- now unbalanced -- contraption rotating around the fixed axis ! (Your sentence is correct, but might induce others to think that there only is a force there during the inelastic collision, so I thought I should mention this.)​
The "energy lost" expression looks OK to me.

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Actually, ##\vec{p}_f = m\vec{v}_i+2M\vec{v}_t## is not correct. The poles move in opposite directions, so their linear momenta cancel!
No, they move orthogonally, so the linear momenta do not cancel. But as noted, conservation of linear momentum is unhelpful here because there's an unknown impulse from the axle.

Yeah, they move orthogonally, consider the two poles as a unique extended body.
And yeah, I intended [itex]\vec{p}_f = m\vec{v}_f + 2M\vec{v}_t[/itex].
[itex]I_O[/itex] is pretty simple to calculate:
[itex]\displaystyle I_O = 2\int_{0}^{L}l^2\frac{M}{L}dl = 2\frac{M}{L}\frac{L^3}{3} = \frac{2}{3}ML^2[/itex].
Thanks everybody!

Related to Calculating Angular Velocity and Energy Dissipation After Collision and Rotation

1. What is collision and rotation in physics?

Collision and rotation are two fundamental concepts in physics that describe the motion of objects. Collision refers to the interaction between two or more objects that results in a change in velocity or direction of motion. Rotation, on the other hand, refers to the circular or spinning motion of an object around an axis.

2. How do collisions affect the rotation of objects?

When two objects collide, the force of impact can cause one or both objects to rotate. This is because the force is not applied at the center of mass, causing a torque that results in rotational motion. The amount and direction of rotation depend on the mass, shape, and velocity of the colliding objects.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum and how does it relate to collision and rotation?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that in a collision, the total amount of angular momentum before and after the collision remains the same, regardless of any changes in rotation or direction of motion.

4. How can rotational motion be calculated and measured?

Rotational motion can be calculated using equations that take into account the object's mass, shape, and rotational speed. It can also be measured using tools such as an accelerometer or a gyroscope, which can detect changes in rotational motion and provide data for analysis.

5. What are some real-world examples of collision and rotation?

Some examples of collision and rotation in everyday life include a spinning top, a bicycle wheel, or a car tire. In sports, collisions and rotations are also commonly observed, such as in baseball when a batter hits a rotating ball, or in gymnastics when a gymnast performs a spinning routine on the uneven bars.