Calculating Angle for Water Rolling on Glass Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a rough calculation of the angle at which drops of water will start rolling down a plane of glass, for a project involving a solar still. The individual mentions that surface tension is preventing the drops from moving and suggests investigating parameters that may affect surface tension, such as the nature of the glass surface and any impurities present. It is noted that there is no single number for the angle of glass.
Winzer

Homework Statement

So I need to get a rough calculation:
At what angle does drops of water start rolling down a plane of glalss.
This is for my project where we are using a solar still to purify water. I just need ot get a rough calculation so I know at what angle to tilt the plane of glass. I am aware that I could experiment but for the class I need calculations.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surface tension is what is stopping the drops from moving.
You will need to investigate what parameters effect the surface tension - this is going to be dominated by the nature of the glass surfacd, how smooth, what type of glass (surface charge) and any impurities on the surface ( particulalry detergents).

There isn't a single number for just glass.

I would approach this problem by first considering the forces acting on the water droplets on the glass plane. The main force at play is gravity, which is pulling the droplets downwards. However, there is also a frictional force between the water droplets and the glass surface, which is resisting the droplets from sliding down the plane.

To determine the angle at which the droplets will start to roll down the plane, we need to find the point at which the frictional force equals the component of gravity pulling the droplets down the plane. This can be calculated using the formula Ff = μmgcosθ, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction between water and glass, m is the mass of the water droplet, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the plane.

We can rearrange this equation to solve for θ, giving us θ = arccos(Ff/μmg). The value of μ for water on glass is typically around 0.1, and the mass of a water droplet can be estimated based on its volume and density. Therefore, by plugging in these values and the desired frictional force, we can calculate the angle at which the droplets will start to roll down the glass plane.

However, it is important to note that this calculation will only give us an approximate angle, as there are other factors that may affect the actual angle at which the droplets start to roll, such as the surface roughness of the glass, the size and shape of the droplets, and any external forces acting on the droplets. Therefore, it may be necessary to conduct experiments to determine the most effective angle for your specific solar still project.

Related to Calculating Angle for Water Rolling on Glass Plane

1. How do you calculate the angle for water rolling on a glass plane?

The angle for water rolling on a glass plane can be calculated using trigonometry. You will need to measure the height and distance of the water droplet from the edge of the glass plane, and then use the tangent function to calculate the angle.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the angle for water rolling on a glass plane?

Calculating the angle for water rolling on a glass plane can help scientists understand the properties of liquids and their behavior on different surfaces. This information can also be used in industries such as manufacturing, where precise angles are needed for liquid-based processes.

3. Can the angle for water rolling on a glass plane vary?

Yes, the angle for water rolling on a glass plane can vary depending on factors such as the surface tension of the water, the surface of the glass plane, and the speed at which the water is rolling. Therefore, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average angle.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating the angle for water rolling on a glass plane?

One real-world application is in the design of rainwater harvesting systems. By understanding the angle at which water rolls on a glass plane, engineers can design more efficient systems to collect rainwater. Additionally, this knowledge can be applied in the development of self-cleaning surfaces and coatings.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the angle for water rolling on a glass plane?

Yes, there are some limitations to this calculation. The angle may vary depending on the temperature and viscosity of the water, as well as the roughness of the glass surface. Additionally, this calculation assumes that the water droplet is perfectly spherical, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.