Calculating Angle Between Plumb Line & Radius Vector Over North Pole

In summary: A sidereal day is 24 hours long, while a solar day is the time it takes for one rotation of the Earth on its axis.
thesaruman

Homework Statement

A jet plane flies due south over the north pole with a constant speed of 500 mph. Determine the angle between a plumb line hanging freely in the plane and the radius vector from the center of the Earth to the plane above the north pole.
Hint, assume that the Earth's angular velocity is 2pi radians in 24 hr, which is a good approximation. Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I just can't figure out what radius vector is this... I mean, which plane is this? And I didn't understand why the hypothesis of an Earth's angular velocity of 2pi radians in 24hr is an approximation. I thought that this could be considered an exact parameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
thesaruman said:

Homework Statement

A jet plane flies due south over the north pole with a constant speed of 500 mph. Determine the angle between a plumb line hanging freely in the plane and the radius vector from the center of the Earth to the plane above the north pole.
Hint, assume that the Earth's angular velocity is 2pi radians in 24 hr, which is a good approximation. Why?

Homework Equations

dx = v dt is one and v = \omega v dt \sin ( \theta ) is the other.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I just can't figure out what radius vector is this... I mean, which plane is this? And I didn't understand why the hypothesis of an Earth's angular velocity of 2pi radians in 24hr is an approximation. I thought that this could be considered an exact parameter.

Considering that this plan is EXACTLY above the North pole, and that in the initial instant of time the jet plane is flying through this radius vector, the answer would depend of a time interval. What I could do?
I mean, the plane would be a distance dx = v dt \hat{\mathbf{x}} in \hat{\mathbf{x}} direction and simultaneously, the Earth would have turned an angle equal to \frac{d\omega}{dt} in \hat{\mathbf{\phi}} direction. I just can't eliminate the time from the solution.

First, just cleaning up the LaTex stuff so it displays properly:
... the plane would be a distance
[tex]dx = v dt \hat{\mathbf{x}} \ \mbox{in} \ \hat{\mathbf{x}} \ \mbox{direction} [/tex]
and simultaneously, the Earth would have turned an angle equal to
[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt} \ \mbox{in} \ \hat{\mathbf{\phi}} \ \mbox{direction.}[/tex]

It looks like they want you to find the curve in the plane's path, which is straight line only relative to the rotating Earth. I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do that, but if you can find 3 points along the path it should be possible to fit a circle to them.

I didn't understand why the hypothesis of an Earth's angular velocity of 2pi radians in 24hr is an approximation. I thought that this could be considered an exact parameter.

It has to do with a sidereal vs. solar day.

Related to Calculating Angle Between Plumb Line & Radius Vector Over North Pole

What is the "Calculating Angle Between Plumb Line & Radius Vector Over North Pole"?

The "Calculating Angle Between Plumb Line & Radius Vector Over North Pole" is a mathematical concept used in geodesy to determine the angle between a plumb line (a line pointing towards the center of the Earth) and a radius vector (a line connecting a point on the Earth's surface to the center of the Earth) at the North Pole.

Why is it important to calculate this angle?

Calculating this angle is important for accurately determining the location of a point on the Earth's surface in relation to the North Pole. This information is essential for various applications such as mapping and navigation.

How is the angle between the plumb line and radius vector calculated?

The angle is calculated using the formula θ = arctan((R*cosφ)/h), where θ is the angle, R is the radius of the Earth, φ is the latitude of the point, and h is the height above the Earth's surface.

What is the significance of the North Pole in this calculation?

The North Pole is significant because it is the point on the Earth's surface that is closest to the Earth's center. This means that the plumb line and the radius vector intersect at a 90-degree angle at the North Pole, making the calculation simpler.

Are there any limitations to this calculation?

Yes, this calculation assumes a perfect spherical shape for the Earth. In reality, the Earth is not a perfect sphere, so the calculated angle may have a small margin of error. Additionally, this calculation is only applicable at the North Pole and may not be accurate at other points on the Earth's surface.