Calculating Amplitude of Transverse Wave

In summary, the wavefunction of a transverse sinusoidal wave on a string can be represented by y(x,t) = Acos(kx + ωt + φ), with x and y in meters, t in seconds, and φ as the phase constant in radians. The wave has a period T = 24.5 ms and travels in the negative x direction with a speed of 31.4 m/s. At t = 0, a particle at x = 0 has a displacement of 2.05 cm and travels downward with a speed of 2.15 m/s. Using these conditions, one can solve for the amplitude of the wave.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

The wavefunction of a transverse sinusoidal wave on a string has the form y(x,t) = Acos(kx + ωt + φ), where x and y are in m, t is in seconds and φ is the phase constant in radians. The wave has a period T = 24.5 ms and travels in the negative x direction with a speed of 31.4 m/s. At t = 0, a particle on the string at x = 0 has a displacement of 2.05 cm and travels downward with a speed of 2.15 m/s. What is the amplitude of the wave?

Homework Equations

y(x,t) = Acos(kx + ωt + φ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am genuinely up **** creek without a paddle on this one. I have no idea how to go about it. I thought it was as simple as filling in the variables but then realized that I don't have the phase constant and I don't want to assume there is none because the next part of the question asks for the phase constant. At this point all I really need is a gentle nudge in the right direction I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have two conditions at the origin, don't you? Try using both of them.

Related to Calculating Amplitude of Transverse Wave

1. How do you calculate the amplitude of a transverse wave?

To calculate the amplitude of a transverse wave, you must measure the maximum displacement of the wave from its rest position. This distance is known as the amplitude and is typically represented by the letter "A" in equations.

2. What units are used to measure amplitude?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm). However, it can also be measured in other units such as millimeters (mm) or even micrometers (μm).

3. Does the amplitude of a transverse wave affect its energy?

Yes, the amplitude of a transverse wave is directly related to its energy. A higher amplitude wave will have more energy than a lower amplitude wave. This can be seen in the equation E ∝ A², where E represents energy and A represents amplitude.

4. How does changing the amplitude of a wave affect its wavelength?

Changing the amplitude of a wave does not affect its wavelength. Wavelength is determined by the frequency of the wave and the speed at which it travels. However, changing the amplitude will affect the height of the wave, but not its length.

5. Can the amplitude of a wave be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of a transverse wave can be positive or negative. A positive amplitude represents a wave that is moving upward, while a negative amplitude represents a wave that is moving downward. The magnitude of the amplitude is what determines the height of the wave.