Calculating Accretion Rate and Luminosity of Black Holes

In summary: And this luminosity must equal the Eddington luminosity. Then the condition on the net mass gain is given by ##(1-\eta) \dot{M} c^2 = L = L_E = 4\pi G M m_p c / \sigma_T## where ##m_p## is the proton mass and ##\sigma_T## is the Thompson cross-section.So a final answer, really, is ##\dot{M} = (1.1 \times 10^{14}) \frac{M}{M_{sun}} \frac{1- \eta}{\eta}##, where ##\eta## is some given efficiency and ##M## is the black hole mass.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

This is the original problem for part 1
A)
Suppose that a black hole of mass M accretes mass at a rate ##\dot{M}##. Further suppose that accretion of mass Δm leads to the radiation of energy ##\Delta E= \eta Δmc^2##, for some effeciency of energy conversion, ##\eta##. What is the luminosity of emitted radiation in terms of ##\dot{M}## and ##\eta##?

B)For what accretion rate ##\dot{M}## does this luminosity equal the Eddington luminosity
for the black hole? Leave your answer as an expression, without plugging in
numerical values.

C) In terms of ##\eta## what is the shortest amount of time that a black hole could increase
its mass by a factor of e≈2.71828, assuming that all of its mass growth occurs
through accretion?

D) Supermassive black holes of mass M≈109Msun have been detected as ultra luminous quasars in the very early universe, roughly 780 million years after the
Big Bang. Assuming that these black holes have been growing at the maximal
rate possible that you computed in part (c), since the beginning of the universe,
what is the smallest initial mass they have begun with to reach 109Msun after 780 million years? Assume that ##\eta## =0.1.

Homework Equations

L=η##\dot M##c^2 For A

The Attempt at a Solution

For B I set L=Le. Where Le= 1031 watts ##\frac{M}{M_{sun}}##

[tex]\eta \dot M c^2=10^{31} \frac {M}{M_{sun}}[/tex]
[tex] \dot M=\frac{10^{31} \frac {M}{M_{sun}}}{\eta c^2}[/tex]

Now C) I took ##\dot M## = ##\frac{dm}{dt}## and moved that dt to the right hand side and integrated from M→2.71828M and 0→t respectively.

This leaves an M on both sides of the equation that cancels and only the ##\eta## variable remains (Msun is known of course). The units work out to seconds as I assumed and I'm left with:
t=1.03x1016##\eta##

Part D) For this I just took the 2.71828M and divided by the time and got 2.64x10-16.

So, the initial mass plus the mass rate times initial mass times 780 million years equals 109Msun.

[tex]M+2.64(10^{-16})M (7.8(10^8))=10^9(M_{sun})[/tex]

Pulling out M and solving I get what amounts to M=109Msun because I'm basically dividing by 1. This does not make sense. SO for 780 million years the mass didnt change. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyone have a good idea?? My rate must be wrong but I don't know where my mistake is. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that for part C, the net mass increase of the black hole should be the mass accreted minus the mass equivalent of the energy radiated away. I have not checked that this leads to something reasonable for part D, but it should be easy for you to do so.

I've been staring at what you wrote for a while now but I'm not following what you mean. At least not how I can set up the equation to reflect what you're saying.

bowlbase said:
I've been staring at what you wrote for a while now but I'm not following what you mean. At least not how I can set up the equation to reflect what you're saying.

It's what I was missing last night when I made my simplistic answer. I knew I was missing something. If a mass Δm falls into the black hole and radiates away ηΔmc^2 in energy then the black hole doesn't gain mass Δm. It gains Δm-(the mass equivalent of ηΔmc^2)=Δm-(ηΔmc^2)/c^2. So ##\dot M=\dot m(1-\eta)## And luminosity is ##L=\dot E=η {\dot m}c^2##. You'll have to eliminate ##\dot m## from the last two equations to get a correct answer to last nights question. Sorry.

Okay, I did the problem using these equations. We were certainly right to be suspicious of our answer last night. This makes a lot more sense to me now.

Our new luminosity would then be ##L=\eta \frac{\dot M c^2}{1-\eta}##. Setting this equal to the LE: ##\frac{\eta}{1-\eta} \dot M c^2= 10^{31} \frac{M}{M_{sun}}## so that ##\dot M= 1.1(10^{14})\frac{1-\eta}{\eta}\frac{M}{M_{sun}}##.

Doing the integral as before I get pretty much the same answer but I realize I made a mistake with the time before. ##t=3.12(10^{16})\frac{\eta}{1-\eta}##

Now, as before I take the rate: ##\frac{2.71828M}{3.12(10^{16})\frac{\eta}{1-\eta}}=6.95(10^{-17})M\frac{1-\eta}{\eta}##

Beginning mass plus rate times beginning mass and time(*converting time to seconds*):
##M+6.95(10^{-17})M\frac{1-\eta}{\eta}(2.46(10^{16}))=2(10^{39})##

##\eta##=.1

##M=\frac{2(10^{39})}{1+6.95(10^{-17})\frac{1-.1}{.1}(2.46(10^{16})}##

M=1.2205(1038)

So, if I did everything correct, I hope, then it only grew in one order of magnitude in that 780 million years. I guess that may be correct...

Dick said:
It's what I was missing last night when I made my simplistic answer. I knew I was missing something. If a mass Δm falls into the black hole and radiates away ηΔmc^2 in energy then the black hole doesn't gain mass Δm. It gains Δm-(the mass equivalent of ηΔmc^2)=Δm-(ηΔmc^2)/c^2. So ##\dot M=\dot m(1-\eta)## And luminosity is ##L=\dot E=η {\dot m}c^2##. You'll have to eliminate ##\dot m## from the last two equations to get a correct answer to last nights question. Sorry.

I didn't give an equation because I didn't want to give too much of the answer and because I hate the notation. We have ##\dot{M}## the accretion rate, ##\Delta m## the amount of mass accreted in a time ##\Delta t## and then we should really use a different symbol for the net mass. So call the net mass ##\mu##. Then in a time ##dt##, the amount of matter that accreted is ##\dot{M} dt##, while the mass-equivalent energy radiated away is ## \eta \dot{M} dt##. So the net mass gain is given by

##\dot{\mu} = (1 - \eta ) \dot{M}.##

Since this is the net mass gain, it is physically important that the coefficient here ##1-\eta < 1## appears in the right way.

bowlbase said:
Our new luminosity would then be ##L=\eta \frac{\dot M c^2}{1-\eta}##. Setting this equal to the LE: ##\frac{\eta}{1-\eta} \dot M c^2= 10^{31} \frac{M}{M_{sun}}## so that ##\dot M= 1.1(10^{14})\frac{1-\eta}{\eta}\frac{M}{M_{sun}}##.

The luminosity is always ##L=\eta \dot M c^2##. It is defined in terms of the total matter being accreted, not the net mass gain of the black hole.

fzero said:
I didn't give an equation because I didn't want to give too much of the answer and because I hate the notation. We have ##\dot{M}## the accretion rate, ##\Delta m## the amount of mass accreted in a time ##\Delta t## and then we should really use a different symbol for the net mass. So call the net mass ##\mu##. Then in a time ##dt##, the amount of matter that accreted is ##\dot{M} dt##, while the mass-equivalent energy radiated away is ## \eta \dot{M} dt##. So the net mass gain is given by

##\dot{\mu} = (1 - \eta ) \dot{M}.##

Since this is the net mass gain, it is physically important that the coefficient here ##1-\eta < 1## appears in the right way.

I gave a lot more of the answer than I usually would, because I felt like such an idiot for botching this question before. I think the books notation is calling the net mass M and sort of implying you should use ##\dot m## for the infall rate.

I appreciate the help and like to work through problems myself. For this I was just unable to make the connection to what you were saying to how I could implement it.

Related to Calculating Accretion Rate and Luminosity of Black Holes

1. How does the accretion process contribute to the growth of black holes?

The accretion process involves the accumulation of matter onto a black hole, which can significantly increase its mass and therefore its gravitational pull. As more matter falls into the black hole, it becomes more massive and its gravitational force becomes stronger, allowing it to attract even more matter. This cycle continues, leading to the continuous growth of the black hole.

2. Can black holes accrete any type of matter?

Yes, black holes can accrete any type of matter that comes within its gravitational reach. This can include gas, dust, and even entire stars. However, the type of matter that is accreted can affect the rate of accretion and the resulting emission of radiation from the black hole.

3. What is the role of magnetic fields in the accretion process?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in the accretion process, as they can influence the movement and flow of matter towards the black hole. In some cases, the magnetic fields can create powerful jets of particles that are ejected from the black hole, contributing to the growth of the black hole and also affecting its surrounding environment.

4. Is there a limit to how much matter a black hole can accrete?

There is a theoretical limit known as the Eddington limit, which is the maximum rate at which a black hole can accrete matter. This limit is determined by the balance between the inward pull of gravity and the outward pressure of radiation emitted from the accretion disk. If the accretion rate exceeds this limit, the excess matter will be expelled from the black hole.

5. How does the accretion process contribute to the formation of quasars?

Quasars are the most luminous objects in the universe and are powered by the intense emission of radiation from supermassive black holes. The accretion process plays a crucial role in the formation of quasars, as the high rate of matter falling into the black hole leads to the emission of massive amounts of energy. This energy is then released in the form of radiation, creating the bright glow of a quasar.