Calculating Acceleration of Helium Balloon

In summary, Homework Statement:The student is asking for help with a science fair project. They need to find the mass of a helium balloon and then calculate its acceleration.
cammarata123

Homework Statement

I have a balloon with helium in it, I need to know the acceleration that it rises. It would be great if you could tell me what I need if I am missing any. This is what I have,

Density of liquid(air) = 1 g/l
Density of Helium = .1786 l/g
Volume of Balloon = 91 cubic centimeters

I need to know the velocity upwards as I change the Density of the Balloon

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the 91 cubic centimeters, also figured out .1786, other than that... horrible failure, like 1000 meters per second

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the balloon? What's the net force?

What's the mass of the balloon?

Apply Newton's 2nd law.

(You won't need the velocity of the balloon to find its acceleration.)

to find the mass I need the weight, I don't have the physical balloon, how can I figure out using the percentage of helium as a variable how much it weighs? then I can multiply times 9.8 and get the mass? I think it was a mistake taking a.p physics, it is so tough for me

You have the volume and the density, so you should be able to find the mass of the helium. (Ignore the mass of the balloon material itself--assume it's zero unless you are given it.)

I found out a better way to ask the question. Do you know of a way to calculate acceleration as a function of density?

You'd figure out the acceleration in the same manner that I described above.

What information are you given?

It's a science fair, I am see'ing the effect of helium on a balloon in air

can I have an equation to find the mass of the helium? then using that, find acceleration

What equation relates density to mass and volume? (What's the definition of density?)

d = m/ v

mass per unit if volume

of volume*

I got an A on my science fair checkup! thanks so much

Related to Calculating Acceleration of Helium Balloon

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a helium balloon?

The acceleration of a helium balloon can be calculated using the formula: acceleration = (net upward force - net downward force) / mass. The net upward force can be calculated by subtracting the weight of the balloon from the buoyant force of the helium, while the net downward force can be calculated by adding the weight of any additional objects attached to the balloon. The mass of the balloon can be determined by weighing it.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a helium balloon?

The acceleration of a helium balloon is affected by several factors, including the weight of the balloon, the amount of helium inside the balloon, and the weight of any additional objects attached to the balloon. The density of the surrounding air can also have an impact on the acceleration of the balloon.

3. How does the acceleration of a helium balloon change as it rises?

The acceleration of a helium balloon changes as it rises due to changes in the surrounding air density. As the balloon rises, the air density decreases, causing the buoyant force of the helium to decrease and the acceleration to decrease as well. This is why a helium balloon eventually reaches a point where it stops rising and remains at a constant altitude.

4. How can you use acceleration to predict the movement of a helium balloon?

By calculating the acceleration of a helium balloon, you can predict its movement and trajectory. This can be helpful in determining the maximum height the balloon can reach before it stops rising, as well as its speed and direction of movement. It can also be used to estimate the time it will take for the balloon to reach a certain altitude.

5. Can the acceleration of a helium balloon be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a helium balloon can be negative. This can occur if the weight of the balloon and any attached objects is greater than the buoyant force of the helium. In this case, the balloon will experience a net downward force and will accelerate downwards. However, in most cases, the acceleration of a helium balloon will be positive as the buoyant force of the helium is typically greater than the weight of the balloon.