Calculating Acceleration of a Pulley Off 6-Story Building

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the acceleration of a pulley suspended off a 6 story building, with one side attached to a 250lb mass and the other to a 130lb mass. The equation a=[(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)]g, where g = 32 ft/s2, is mentioned as a possible solution. The answer of -10.1ft/s2 is given, though it is not clear why a minus sign is included. It is suggested that a free body diagram can also be used to solve the problem, and not all information given in the problem statement is necessary for the solution. The height of the building is mentioned, but it is determined to not be a
vericolorful

Homework Statement

There is a pulley suspended off a 6 story building. One side of the pulley is attached to a mass of 250lb and the other 130lb. What's the acceleration?

Homework Equations

a=[(m2-m1)/(m2+m1)]g
g = 32 ft/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think I'm suppose to use the equation listed above because it's linked with a atwood's machine lab we just did. I got the answer of -10.1ft/s2. I don't know if this is correct because my teacher said something about taking into the account of how high the building is. Each story is 10 ft. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also work it out just using a free body diagram. The equation for atwood's machine isn't so important you want to memorize it. The answer is correct, though I'm not sure why you included the minus sign. One weight is accelerating up and the other down. What could the minus add to that? I think your teacher was teasing you by suggesting the height of the building is a factor. How could it be? Don't believe that every number given in a problem statement is necessary to the solution of the problem.

I would first clarify the given information and assumptions. Is the pulley assumed to be frictionless? Is the mass of the pulley itself taken into account? Are the masses attached to the pulley assumed to be point masses or do they have a certain size and shape? These details can affect the accuracy of the calculated acceleration.

Assuming that the pulley is frictionless and the masses are point masses, the given equation can be used to calculate the acceleration. However, the negative sign in the answer (-10.1 ft/s2) indicates that the pulley is accelerating downwards, meaning that the heavier mass is moving downwards faster than the lighter mass is moving upwards. This makes sense, as the heavier mass of 250lb will have a greater gravitational force pulling it downwards compared to the lighter mass of 130lb.

To take into account the height of the building, we can use the equation for gravitational potential energy: PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the gravitational acceleration (32 ft/s2), and h is the height. By setting the potential energy of the system (pulley and masses) at the top of the building to be equal to the kinetic energy of the system at the bottom of the building, we can calculate the final velocity of the masses and use this to determine the acceleration.

Overall, it is important to clearly state all assumptions and considerations when calculating the acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a free body diagram and consider all forces acting on the pulley and masses.

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a Pulley Off 6-Story Building

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building?

The acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building can be calculated using the formula a = (2gh)/(t^2), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), h is the height of the building, and t is the time taken for the pulley to fall.

2. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity?

The value of acceleration due to gravity is a constant, approximately equal to 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. This value can vary slightly depending on the location on Earth and other factors, but for most calculations, 9.8 m/s^2 is a good approximation.

3. Can the acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building can be negative. This occurs when the pulley is moving upward with a deceleration, or when it reaches the top of the building and starts moving downward. Negative acceleration simply means that the velocity of the pulley is decreasing over time.

4. Why is time taken into account in the calculation of acceleration?

Time is a crucial factor in the calculation of acceleration because it determines the rate at which the pulley is accelerating. Without the time component, the formula for acceleration would only give us the change in velocity, not the rate of change.

5. Can the acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building be greater than 9.8 m/s^2?

Yes, the acceleration of a pulley off a 6-story building can be greater than 9.8 m/s^2. This can occur if there are additional forces acting on the pulley, such as friction or a motor. In this case, the acceleration would be equal to the sum of all the forces acting on the pulley divided by its mass.