Calculating Acceleration for a Monkey Lifting a Crate | Force and Motion

In summary, the problem involves a 9 kg monkey trying to lift a 21 kg package using a massless and frictionless rope over a tree limb. The first part of the problem asks for the minimum acceleration the monkey needs to lift the package, while the second part asks for the monkey's acceleration and the tension in the rope. To find the minimum acceleration, we first need to calculate the rope tension necessary to start lifting the package, which can be found using F=ma. The monkey's acceleration can be solved using the same formula, and there is another acceleration involved in the problem aside from gravity.
pinkxoxo
1. THE PROBLEM: A 9 kg monkey climbs up a massless rope that runs over a frictionless tree limb and back down to a 21 kg package on the ground (Fig. 5-54).

Figure 5-54.

(a) What is the magnitude of the least acceleration the monkey must have in order to lift the package off the ground?
m/s2

Assume that after the package has been lifted, the monkey stops its climb and holds onto the rope.

(b) What is the monkey's acceleration?
m/s2
(c) What is the tension in the rope?
N

2.) MY ATTEMPTS: I figured that in order for the monkey to be able to lift the crate its acceleration should be proportional to where the monkey and crate had the same force.
F=ma=m(Monkey(9))(a)=m(Crate(21))(9.8)
a=22.876 m/s^2...according to web assign I am wrong! I can solve the other parts of the problem if I knew how to find the first acceleration
PLEASE HELP :)

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) To start, I would calculate what the rope tension must be in order to just start lifting the package.

How would i calculate that? F=ma but the only a i see given is gravity?

Well, to put it another way: what would be the force required to lift anything off of the ground?

F = ma is key. And there IS another a apart from gravity. Hmmm, what could be accelerating in the problem?

Related to Calculating Acceleration for a Monkey Lifting a Crate | Force and Motion

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that acts upon an object, causing it to accelerate or change its state of motion.

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.