Calculating Acceleration and Time in a 100 m Sprint Race

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the "Fastest human" title and how it is traditionally held by the record holder of the 100 m race. The race is broken down into two phases, a high acceleration phase from rest to a maximum speed of 11.9 m/s in t1 seconds, and a low negative acceleration phase from 11.9 m/s to a final speed of 11.0 m/s in a total time of 10.30 seconds. The conversation then poses three questions about the race, including the time and acceleration of the first phase and the acceleration of the second phase. The approach to solving the problem is also briefly discussed, emphasizing the importance of identifying known and unknown parameters and avoiding pl
arvin369

Homework Statement

The title of “Fastest human” traditionally goes to the record holder of the 100 m race, which world-class sprinters can run in approximately ten seconds. Typically a sprinter accelerates quickly from rest to their maximum speed, after which their speed gradually tapers off towards the finish.

We can reasonably model a particular 100 m race for a runner by a constant (high) acceleration phase from rest to a maximum speed 11.9 m/s in t1 seconds, followed by a constant (low) negative acceleration phase from 11.9 m/s to a final speed 11.0 m/s in a final total time of 10.30 seconds.

A) What is the time of the first phase?
B) What is the acceleration of the first phase?
C) What is the acceleration of the second phase?

Homework Equations

x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
v(t) = v0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

So there are multiple variables that are unknown so I attempted eliminating a few with substitutions. Didn't work out too well. I may have eliminated it wrong. I have no idea what to do I have tried everything. Please give me hints on how to solve this, I don't want an answer or a direct way to do it. Just aim me in the right direction please. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you've stated the problem, you haven't quite explained what quantities you want to derive. It'd be a good idea to write down the equations for each phase (x(t1), v(t1), etc.) and identify which parameters are known and which need to be solved for. Don't plug numbers in until the end of the problem, or you'll just complicate the algebra.

Related to Calculating Acceleration and Time in a 100 m Sprint Race

What is a multiple phase problem?

A multiple phase problem is a scientific or engineering problem that involves multiple phases or states of matter. This could include solid, liquid, gas, or even plasma phases.

What are some examples of multiple phase problems?

Examples of multiple phase problems include studying the behavior of water during the freezing and melting process, analyzing the phase transitions of materials under extreme temperatures and pressures, and understanding the behavior of mixtures of gases and liquids.

What are the challenges of solving a multiple phase problem?

One of the main challenges of solving a multiple phase problem is accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of each phase and how they interact with each other. This requires a thorough understanding of the properties and interactions of each phase, as well as the ability to develop complex mathematical models.

How are multiple phase problems solved?

Multiple phase problems are typically solved using a combination of experimental data and mathematical modeling. This involves conducting experiments to gather data on the behavior of each phase, and then using this data to refine and validate mathematical models that can accurately predict the behavior of the system.

Why are multiple phase problems important in science and engineering?

Multiple phase problems are important because they are often encountered in real-world applications, and understanding their behavior is crucial for developing new technologies and solving complex problems. By studying multiple phase problems, scientists and engineers can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and use this knowledge to make advancements in various fields.