Calculating Acceleration and Tension in a Pulley System with Inclined Planes

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the acceleration and tension in a system involving two blocks, A and B, connected by a rope and a pulley. Block A has a mass of 75 kg and is on a frictionless inclined plane, while Block B hangs vertically with the same mass. After discussing equations and attempting a solution, it is determined that the acceleration is -1.99 m/s^2 and the tension is also correctly calculated. The mistake was made in mixing up the sine and cosine values in the equation, but the correct values were eventually determined.
komarxian

Homework Statement

Block A has a mass of 75 kg and is initially at rest on a frictionless inclined plane tilted at a 37 ° above the horizon. Block A is attached to a massless rope that is connected to the top of Block B by way of a massless frictionless pulley. Block B also has a mass of 75 kg and hangs vertically. Find the acceleration of the blocks. Also find the Tension, T, in the rope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solved it I found that a = 4 m/s^2, but I think I got it wrong. I used a=(mg-Fparallel)/B, but I may/most likely screwed up here. Any help would be greatly appreciated ;D. I also think that the acceleration might be 0, because it says that it is initially at rest, but that answer also doesn't feel right.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture. Include free body diagrams.

Express Newton's second law for each object.

Solve for a.

Likes Thewindyfan, Chestermiller and billy_joule
komarxian said:
I used a=(mg-Fparallel)/B,
You appear to think that adequately explains to others what you did. I assure you it doesn't. E.g. what do you mean by Fparallel? How did you calculate it? What does B represent in the equation - the mass of block B? What about m?
Please post all your steps and define your variables.

Likes Thewindyfan, komarxian, Dr. Courtney and 1 other person
Okay, I tried this.
image.jpeg

komarxian said:
Mass A is M and mass B is m
That looks fine. You are also asked for the tension.

Likes komarxian
haruspex said:
That looks fine. You are also asked for the tension.
So do you know if my answer is correct? Thank you for the help!

komarxian said:
So do you know if my answer is correct? Thank you for the help!
Yes, I agree with your answer.

Likes komarxian
Okay thanks! Will start on the tension now.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1452209167.311935.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1452209193.244202.jpg

Okay, now that I have the acceleration, I was wondering If what I did to get tension was correct? My teacher recomended using the equation that I used in the second image.

Im sorry but I am pretty sure a is -1.99 ms^-2. i'l put some pics up in a sec

WrongMan said:
Im sorry but I am pretty sure a is -1.99 ms^-2. i'l put some pics up in a sec
You're right, I didn't notice komarxian had sin and cos mixed up.

Likes komarxian
Oh darn, I'll take a look at that. @wrongedMan some pics would help a ton! Thank you for the help @haruspex as well

well without wanting to give it all away :p ... start with that (img), you should try and solve it without inputing any values just find an expression for a then put values in, repeat for T (bit more tricky for T). I'll still be around for a couple of hours to help you out if you get stuck :)edit1: BTW, important bit: sin(37) is NOT 4/5 maybe that was your mistake
edit2: yep that was your mistake

edit 3: ah @haruspex i see that's what you meant, i thought you meant he actually wrote cos instead of sin not that he got the values mixed up

Attachments

• IMG_20160108_010936-2.jpg
    IMG_20160108_010936-2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Likes komarxian
! Thank you! I misread my formula sheet (again) omo.

Related to Calculating Acceleration and Tension in a Pulley System with Inclined Planes

1. What are forces and pulleys?

Forces are pushes or pulls that act on an object, causing it to accelerate or change its motion. Pulleys are simple machines that consist of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. They are used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How do forces and pulleys work together?

Forces and pulleys work together to make it easier to lift heavy objects. When a force is applied to one end of a rope or belt attached to a pulley, it causes the other end of the rope or belt to move in the opposite direction. This allows for the weight of the object to be distributed over multiple ropes or pulleys, making it easier to lift.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the output force (the weight of the object being lifted) by the input force (the force applied to the rope or belt). The number of ropes or pulleys in the system also affects the mechanical advantage. For example, a system with two ropes and two pulleys would have a mechanical advantage of 2.

5. Are there any real-life applications of forces and pulleys?

Forces and pulleys are used in many real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also used in sports equipment, such as rock climbing pulley systems, and in everyday items like window blinds and garage doors.