Calculating a probability given a point for a continuous distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of translating probability and statistics theories into actual computations, particularly when dealing with continuous distributions and the use of density functions and cumulative distribution functions. It is important to understand the limitations of using a density function and when it is necessary to use a cumulative distribution function. Additionally, the conversation touches on the concept of sampling from a continuous distribution and the difficulties of integrating the PDF to calculate probabilities. Finally, the conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding the generalization of Bayes' Theorem to continuous distributions and when it is appropriate to use direct values from a PDF.
TheOldHag
I thought I understood all the theory quite well and sat down to begin coding until I realized that calculating a probability at a point within a normal distribution in the application of bayes' rule you can't simply plug the point into the normal distribution and get the value since the probability is a density. How do you approach this from a numerical standpoint or am I incorrect? My guess is that you need to leverage the cumulative distribution function instead and calculate the probability over some small delta around the point.

My broader problem is now after having gone through a good part of probability and statistics and being able to wield the P notation quite deftly on paper, I'm finding that translating those theories to actual computation has its own challenges and I'm wondering how this is generally approached or if I'm completely misunderstanding something. I'm fairly certain that P(x) doesn't mean evaluating the pdf f(x) and just taking that value.

Appreciate any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that you need to leverage the cumulative distribution function instead and calculate the probability over some small delta around the point.
Pretty much except you don't need the cumulative probability.

If X~N, P(X=x)=0
There is no such thing as an arbitrarily precise measurement.
When we say that someone is 183cm tall, we really mean they are between 182.5cm and 183.5cm or something like that. So the probability of someone being 183cm tall, in the same sense, is actually P(182.5<x<183.5).

I'm fairly certain that P(x) doesn't mean evaluating the pdf f(x) and just taking that value.
That is correct. P(x) has no formal meaning where a pdf is concerned. You can only compute P(a<x<b) ... i.e. you can only find a non-zero probability for a continuous random variable falling between a range of values.

In general we can say: $$\lim_{b-a\rightarrow 0}P(a<x<b)\rightarrow 0$$

You can work it out for yourself:$$P(x=a)=\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}P(a-\epsilon<x<a+\epsilon)=\int_a^a p(x)\; dx$$

Likes 1 person
Adding to what Simon Bridge said, if you are trying to generate samples from a normal distribution then your computer program will produce a specific number - an "exact" real number one might say. But this type of sampling is only an approximation of the idea of sampling from a continuous distribution. The program is actually picking a number from a finite population of numbers - those that it can represent.

Are you familiar with the typical algorithms for generating pseudo-random samples?

If you can integrate the PDF from a to b, then you can use the PDF to calculate P(a < X < b). In practice, the integration can be very difficult. The CDF has already done the integration from -∞ up to any point, so P(a < X < b) = CDF(b) - CDF(a). There are very accurate tables for most the CDFs of the common distributions.

I think Simon's point was helpful to confirm and clear up some of my confusion regarding density functions and how to interpret the value of a density function. The other part that I needed to clear up was to go back and review the generalization of Bayes' Theorem to continuous distributions and then apply that to my current problem which is after all calculating values and summing etc directly from PDF because of that generalization. But also to distinguish when it is safe to use the value directly and when it doesn't make sense.

Related to Calculating a probability given a point for a continuous distribution?

1. How do I calculate the probability given a specific point for a continuous distribution?

To calculate the probability at a specific point for a continuous distribution, you will need to use the probability density function (PDF) or cumulative distribution function (CDF) for that distribution. Plug in the given point into the equation and solve for the probability.

2. Can I use a formula to calculate the probability for any continuous distribution?

No, each continuous distribution has its own specific PDF or CDF formula. You will need to find the appropriate formula for the distribution you are working with.

3. Is it possible to calculate the probability for a continuous distribution without knowing the entire distribution?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the probability for a continuous distribution by using a small sample of the data. This is known as a method of moments or maximum likelihood estimation.

4. How do I interpret the probability calculated for a continuous distribution?

The probability for a continuous distribution represents the likelihood of obtaining a specific value or range of values from the distribution. It can also be interpreted as the area under the curve of the PDF or CDF at that point or range.

5. Can I use a software or calculator to calculate the probability for a continuous distribution?

Yes, there are many software and calculators available that can perform these calculations for you. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and formulas in order to interpret the results correctly.