Calculating a Parachute Descent

• Thread starter Lunar_Lander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parachute
In summary, to incorporate the changing density of the air into the formula for descent velocity, you will need to use the concept of integration. This involves calculating the integral of the formula using a function for \rho(h), which represents the density as a function of altitude. This can be derived from atmospheric density data or a standard atmospheric model. Numerical integration methods can then be used to calculate the integral and determine the descent velocity.
Lunar_Lander
Hello,

I'm still working on my balloning project and now I have arrived at the problem of getting a accurate idea of a descent velocity/time. I am sure that the formula to get the velocity is:

[tex]\sqrt{m*g/0.5*\rho*A}[/tex]

Now density changes with altitude, causing a higher velocity at high altitude and a decreasing velocity while closing in on Earth. In the formula, m is the mass of the payload and A is the cross-sectional area of the parachute.

Question: How can I implement [tex]\rho(h)[/tex], that is the density as a function of altitude, into the formula above? Integration over [tex]\rho[/tex]?

My previous approach was to get myself the atmospheric densities for 4000 m-levels out of the 1976 U.S. Standard Atmosphere, to calculate the velocity by putting in each of the densities in turn, and finally to average the velocities. I don't know if this is also OK, but I can imagine that it is less accurate than a analytical solution I am looking for here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and for sharing your progress on your project. You are correct in your understanding that the density of the air changes with altitude, which affects the descent velocity of your balloon. To incorporate this into your formula, you will need to use the concept of integration, as you mentioned. Integration allows you to account for the changing density as the balloon descends through different altitudes.

To implement \rho(h) into your formula, you will need to use the integral form of the formula, which is:

v = \int_{h_0}^{h} \sqrt{\frac{m*g}{0.5*\rho(h)*A}} dh

Where h_0 is the initial altitude and h is the final altitude. This integral will give you the average velocity over the entire descent.

To calculate the integral, you will need to have a function for \rho(h), which represents the density as a function of altitude. This function can be derived from the atmospheric density data you have collected or from a standard atmospheric model. Once you have the function, you can use numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to calculate the integral and determine the descent velocity.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck!

Related to Calculating a Parachute Descent

1. How do you calculate the descent rate of a parachute?

To calculate the descent rate of a parachute, you will need to know the weight of the object that the parachute is carrying, the surface area of the parachute, and the air resistance of the parachute. Using these values, you can plug them into the equation: Descent Rate = (Weight x Gravity) / (Surface Area x Air Resistance).

2. What factors affect the descent rate of a parachute?

The descent rate of a parachute is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object it is carrying, the surface area of the parachute, the air resistance of the parachute, and the air density. Other factors that can affect the descent rate include the type of material used to make the parachute and the shape and design of the parachute.

3. Can you calculate the descent rate of a parachute without knowing the weight of the object?

No, in order to accurately calculate the descent rate of a parachute, you will need to know the weight of the object it is carrying. This is because the weight of the object is a crucial factor in determining the speed at which the parachute will descend.

4. How does air resistance affect the descent rate of a parachute?

Air resistance is a major factor in determining the descent rate of a parachute. The larger the surface area of the parachute, the more air resistance it will experience, which will slow down the descent rate. However, if the parachute is too small, it may not provide enough air resistance to slow down the descent rate, leading to a faster descent.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the descent rate of a parachute?

It is important to accurately calculate the descent rate of a parachute because it can affect the safety and success of the parachute's landing. If the descent rate is too fast, it can result in a hard landing and potentially cause injury to the object or person being carried by the parachute. If the descent rate is too slow, it can cause the parachute to drift off course and potentially lead to a dangerous landing. Accurate calculation of the descent rate ensures a safe and controlled landing.