Calculating 2D Momentum Collision with Unknown Speeds and Angles

In summary, the equations for the motion of the cue ball and the red ball after impact are given by Vcos(30) + 0 = ncos(60) + 2cos(20) and Vsin(30) + 0 = nsin(60) + 2sin(20), respectively.
Theudius
lAsytPR.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
VCos(30) + 0 = nCos(60) + 2Cos(20)
VSin(30) + 0 = nSin(60) + 2Sin(20)

where I let n = any speed,
I'm not sure if my attempt at the solution is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theudius said:
1. View attachment 211369

Homework Equations

[/B]
P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
VCos(30) + 0 = nCos(60) + 2Cos(20)
VSin(30) + 0 = nSin(60) + 2Sin(20)
Check signs in 2nd equation.

I don't see anything wrong with the signs in the second equation could you explain further also how would I obtain V?

Theudius said:
I don't see anything wrong with the signs in the second equation could you explain further
What direction does the cue ball go after impact?
also how would I obtain V?
2 equations, 2 unknowns.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Likes Theudius
Theudius said:
I don't see anything wrong with the signs in the second equation could you explain further also how would I obtain V?

The final angles are ##+60^o## for red and ##-20^o## for white.

Likes Theudius

Related to Calculating 2D Momentum Collision with Unknown Speeds and Angles

What is 2D Momentum Collision?

2D Momentum Collision is a type of collision between two objects in a two-dimensional space. It involves the transfer of momentum between the objects and can occur in both elastic and inelastic collisions.

How is momentum conserved in 2D Momentum Collision?

Momentum is conserved in 2D Momentum Collision because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the vector sum of the momentums of the two objects will be equal before and after the collision.

What are the differences between elastic and inelastic 2D Momentum Collisions?

Elastic 2D Momentum Collisions involve objects bouncing off each other without any energy loss, while inelastic 2D Momentum Collisions result in some energy being lost due to deformation or heat. Inelastic collisions also have a lower coefficient of restitution, which measures the ratio of the final to initial relative velocity.

How can the equations for 2D Momentum Collision be used to calculate the velocities of the objects after the collision?

The equations for 2D Momentum Collision, such as the conservation of momentum and the coefficient of restitution, can be used to set up a system of equations to solve for the velocities of the objects after the collision. These equations take into account the masses, initial velocities, and angles of the objects to determine the final velocities.

What real-world applications involve 2D Momentum Collision?

2D Momentum Collision has various real-world applications, such as car crashes, billiard games, and sports. It is also used in engineering and physics to understand the impact and interaction of objects in motion, such as in the design of airbags and crash barriers.