Calculating 25% of Gravity at Height

• Thread starter RoughRoad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, the acceleration due to gravity will fall to 25% of the Earth's surface at a height of 2 times the radius of the Earth. This can be calculated using the equation g'=g/4 and R'=2R, where g is the original value of gravity and R is the radius of the Earth.
RoughRoad

Homework Statement

At what height will the acceleration due to gravity will fall to 25% that of the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

g= GM/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
RoughRoad said:

Homework Equations

g= GM/R^2

Good.

RoughRoad said:

The Attempt at a Solution

You're missing this.

g=GM/R^2 or R^2=GM/g..
let g' be new value of g which is fall in 25%..
therefore 25g/100= g' or g'=g/4

R' be the new distance from surface of Earth than,

R'^2=GM/g'

as g'=g/4 therefore

R'^2=4GM/g

as GM/g= R^2 therefore R'^2=4R^2

R'^2= (2R)^2

R' = 2R

therefore answer is 'R' above surface of earth. As 2R is distance from center

Last edited:
Since they asked for the 'height' I would assume they want from the surface and not the distance from the center.

But your method is correct.

The answer given in my textbook is R. And I have worked it out with my friend and now I got the answer. But thanks to both of you for helping me solve this problem.

Related to Calculating 25% of Gravity at Height

1. What is the formula for calculating 25% of gravity at a certain height?

The formula for calculating 25% of gravity at a certain height is: F = (0.25 x G) x (1 - h/R)^2, where F is the force of gravity at the given height, G is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), h is the height, and R is the radius of the Earth.

2. How do you determine the force of gravity at a height using the above formula?

To determine the force of gravity at a height, you will need to plug in the values of G, h, and R into the formula and solve for F. This will give you the force of gravity at the given height in newtons (N).

3. Can the formula be used to calculate other percentages of gravity at a height?

Yes, the formula can be modified to calculate other percentages of gravity at a height. Simply replace the 0.25 with the desired percentage in decimal form (e.g. 50% would be 0.5).

4. Does the force of gravity change as you move further away from the Earth's surface?

Yes, the force of gravity decreases as you move further away from the Earth's surface. This is because the distance between two objects affects the strength of the gravitational force between them.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated force of gravity at a height?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated force of gravity at a height. These include variations in the Earth's gravitational field due to changes in the Earth's shape and density, as well as the effects of air resistance and other external forces.