Calculatin units for theoretical magnetic point charge

In summary: You mixed up the units for magnetic permeability and magnetic charge volume density. Magnetic permeability is in T/A units, while magnetic charge volume density is in A/m units.
IAmAZucchini
Hi,

So, assuming the theoretical existence of a monopole, we would have to alter the maxwell equations to give the magnetic field a divergence, and also to ensure that the divergence of the curl of the electric field is still zero we would have to add a term.

The altered divergence of B would have to be
div(B) = mu0 * ROm

mu 0 being magnetic permeability and ROm being magnetic charge volume density.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the units for the theoretical magnetic point charge, qm, would be - I've figured that the units for the point charge density ROm would be Newtons/(Tesla*meters^2), which doesn't make sense to me - here's how I got it

div(B) => units Tesla/meter
Mu0 has units T/A
so ROm must have units A/m, which equates to Newtons/(Tesla*meters^2)...this doesn't make sense to me because it should be a volume density, not an area density, right?

ALSO, if you try to make an analogy to electric field - E has units of Newtons/Coulomb, and the charge unit is Coulomb - so therefore, if B has units of Tesla, then qm should have units of Newtons/Tesla. Which I guess makes sense, somewhat. HOWEVER, if you do it formally, integrating both sides of the new div(B) equation, you get that the units [qm]=(Newtons*meters)/Tesla.

Yet, with the two results that I did get, the q = ro*V rule is conserved (1/m^2 in ro, *m in q, so m^3 = V is the factor by which they differ)...in short, I've confused myself and don't know what to do.

If someone could point out a mistake in my calculations, or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Thanks muchly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
The unit of [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex] shall be
[tex][\mu_{0}]=\frac{mT}{A}[/tex]
and therefore the unit for [tex]\rho_{m}[/tex] is
[tex][\rho_{m}]=\frac{N}{Tm^{3}}[/tex]

Hopefully this will clear up things for you

Oh, SNAP. Thank you!

What a silly mistake.

Related to Calculatin units for theoretical magnetic point charge

1. What is a theoretical magnetic point charge?

A theoretical magnetic point charge is a hypothetical point in space that is assumed to have a magnetic charge, similar to how a regular point charge has an electric charge. It is used in theoretical calculations and models to understand the behavior of magnetic fields.

2. How do you calculate the units for a theoretical magnetic point charge?

To calculate the units for a theoretical magnetic point charge, you would use the formula Q = m x L, where Q is the magnetic charge, m is the magnetic moment, and L is the length. The units for magnetic charge are typically measured in Ampere-meters (A-m) or Weber (Wb).

3. How is a theoretical magnetic point charge different from a regular magnetic charge?

A regular magnetic charge, also known as a magnetic monopole, is a hypothetical particle that has a magnetic charge without an accompanying electric charge. In contrast, a theoretical magnetic point charge is a mathematical concept used in theoretical models to represent the behavior of a magnetic field.

4. Can a theoretical magnetic point charge exist in reality?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that a theoretical magnetic point charge exists in reality. It is a theoretical concept used in mathematical models to understand the behavior of magnetic fields and is not a physical particle or object.

5. How is a theoretical magnetic point charge used in scientific research?

A theoretical magnetic point charge is used in scientific research to model and understand the behavior of magnetic fields. It is also used in theoretical calculations and equations to predict and explain the behavior of magnetic materials and systems.