Calculate Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Y-parameters for a capacitor in parallel using the given formulas and finding difficulties when V2 = 0. The possibility of using Z-parameters is suggested, but it is noted that due to the circuit configuration, the Y-parameters may not be finite. The conversation then shifts to discussing the Y-parameters of a Schottky diode and the difficulties in obtaining them using the given method.
Bromio

Homework Statement

Calculate the Y parameters of a capacitor in parallel (see the attached figure).

Homework Equations

Y-Parameters:
[itex]I_1=Y_{11}V_1+Y_{12}V_2[/itex]
[itex]I_2=Y_{21}V_1+Y_{22}V_2[/itex]

[itex]Y_{11} = \frac{I_1}{V_1}[/itex] when [itex]V_2=0[/itex]
[itex]Y_{12} = \frac{I_1}{V_2}[/itex] when [itex]V_1=0[/itex]
[itex]Y_{21} = \frac{I_2}{V_1}[/itex] when [itex]V_2=0[/itex]
[itex]Y_{22} = \frac{I_2}{V_2}[/itex] when [itex]V_1=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use formulas written above, but when [itex]V_2=0[/itex], then [itex]V_1=0[/itex], so [itex]Y_{11}\to\infty[/itex]?

The same happens when I try to find Y-parameters of a resistor in parallel.

Thank you.

Attachments

• cparalell.png
    cparalell.png
    552 bytes · Views: 906
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there's only the one essential node in the circuit, V1 = V2 always. So finding the Y-Parameters by shorting a port and expecting the other port to have some voltage other than zero is, well, problematical!

You may have more luck with the Z-Parameters... then consider how the Y-matrix is related to Z-matrix. What conclusions can you draw?

Likes 1 person
[itex][/itex][itex][/itex]OK. Thanks.

So,
[itex]V_1 = Z_{11}I_1 + Z_{12}I_2[/itex]
[itex]V_2 = Z_{21}I_1 + Z_{22}I_2[/itex]

I have no problem finding [itex]Z_{11}[/itex]:
[itex]Z_{11} = \left.\frac{V_1}{I_1}\right|_{I_2=0} = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex]

However, when finding [itex]Z_{12}[/itex] I'm not sure if I draw the circuit properly in order to calculate the parameters. I mean [itex]I_1=0[/itex] and [itex]V_1=V_2[/itex], so [itex]Z_{12} = \left.\frac{V_1}{I_2}\right|_{I_1=0} = \left.\frac{V_2}{I_2}\right|_{I_1=0}= \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex].

If that's true, all Z-parameters are equal to [itex]Z_{11} = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex].

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Bromio said:
[itex][/itex][itex][/itex]OK. Thanks.

So,
[itex]V_1 = Z_{11}I_1 + Z_{12}I_2[/itex]
[itex]V_2 = Z_{21}I_1 + Z_{22}I_2[/itex]

I have no problem finding [itex]Z_{11}[/itex]:
[itex]Z_{11} = \left.\frac{V_1}{I_1}\right|_{I_2=0} = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex]

However, when finding [itex]Z_{12}[/itex] I'm not sure if I draw the circuit properly in order to calculate the parameters. I mean [itex]I_1=0[/itex] and [itex]V_1=V_2[/itex], so [itex]Z_{12} = \left.\frac{V_1}{I_2}\right|_{I_1=0} = \left.\frac{V_2}{I_2}\right|_{I_1=0}= \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex].

If that's true, all Z-parameters are equal to [itex]Z_{11} = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex].

Is this correct?
Yup.

In that case I have the same problem as before.

I know that [itex]Y_{11}=\frac{Z_{22}}{\Delta_Z}[/itex], where [itex]\Delta_Z = Z_{11}Z_{22}-Z_{12}Z_{21}[/itex].

Because [itex]Z_{11} = Z_{12} = Z_{21} = Z_{22} = \frac{1}{j\omega C}[/itex], [itex]\Delta_Z = 0[/itex], so [itex]Y_{11}\to\infty[/itex].

Where's the mistake?

Thank you.

No mistake. Since the determinant of the impedance matrix is zero, there's no inverse, hence no finite Y-parameters.

If you consider the circuit, the two ports are directly wired together. Hence in reality it's a single port device.

Likes 1 person
Thank you.

I really wanted to find the Y-parameter matrix of a Schottky diode working as mixer, whose model is this:
fig309_01.jpg

Should I conclude that it isn't posible to get it by adding capacitor Cj and resistor Rj Y-matrices, going to Z-parameters, adding the result with Rs Z-matrix, and finally going back to Y-parameters?

Thanks.

The Schottky is obviously part of a larger circuit - if you show us that then possibly we can advise you as to exploiting the conveniences of 2-terminal matrices, if any.

Related to Calculate Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel

What is the formula for calculating Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel?

The formula for calculating the Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel is Y = Cω, where Y is the admittance, C is the capacitance, and ω is the angular frequency.

What is the purpose of calculating Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel?

Calculating the Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel allows us to analyze the behavior of the parallel circuit and determine its impedance and admittance. This information can help us design and optimize circuits for specific purposes.

What is the difference between Y-parameters and Z-parameters?

Y-parameters represent the admittance of a circuit, while Z-parameters represent the impedance. In a parallel circuit, Y-parameters are more commonly used as they are easier to calculate and analyze.

Can the Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel be negative?

Yes, the Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel can be negative. This indicates that the capacitor has a capacitive reactance, which means it leads the current in the circuit.

How can I use the Y-parameters of a capacitor in parallel to analyze a circuit?

You can use the Y-parameters to calculate the total admittance of a parallel circuit, which then can be used to find the total impedance and current. This information can be used to analyze the behavior of the circuit and make any necessary adjustments or optimizations.