Calculate Where Earth & Moon's Gravitational Attraction Is Canceled

In summary, the mass of the Moon is 7.36 x 10^22 kg and the distance between Earth and the Moon is 3.84 x 10^5 km. To calculate where the force of Earth's gravitational attraction is canceled by the Moon's force of gravitational attraction, an object with a mass of 1 kg is assumed. Using the equation Fg = Gm1m2 / r^2, it can be determined that the distance between Earth and the object is equal to the distance between the Moon and the object. By setting up a quadratic equation and solving for r, it is possible to find the exact location where the two forces are equal.
zeion

Homework Statement

The mass of the Moon is 7.36 x 10 ^ 22 kg. At some point between Earth and the Moon, the force of Earth's gravitational attraction on an object is canceled by the Moon's force of gravitational attraction. If the distance between Earth and the Moon (center to center) is 3.84 x 10 ^ 5 km, calculate where this will occur, relative to Earth.

Homework Equations

Fg = Gm1m2 / r ^ 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
Mass of Earth = 5.98 x 10 ^ 24 kg
Mass of Moon = 7.36 x 10 ^ 22 kg
Radius between Earth and Moon = 3.84 x 10 ^ 5 km = 3.84 x 10 ^ 8 m

So at this point, Fgmoon = Fgearth, but I need another object to calculate the point.
So assuming the object is 1kg. Fg between Moon and object = Fg between Earth and object.
I need to find the r between Earth and object. This distance is the entire distance between Earth and Moon minus distance between object and Moon.

Gm(earth)m(test) / (distance between moon and sun - r) ^ 2 = Gm(test)m(moon) / r ^ 2

I don't know either r.
I'm not sure how to find r with this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org

The two r's are identical so you have only one unknown.
The form of your equation is like a/b = c/d.
Your first step should be to cross multiply to ad = bc, which eliminates all fractions.
Cancel what you can. Express the quadratic equation in standard form
ar^2 + br + c = 0
Use the quadratic solution formula to find r.

Ok, so I have:
(G)[m(earth)][m(test)](r ^ 2) = (G)[m(test)][m(moon)][(distance between moon and sun - r) ^ 2]
(9.8N/kg)(5.98 x 10 ^ 24 kg)(1kg)(r^2) = (9.8N/kg)(1kg)(7.36 x 10 ^ 22 kg)(3.84 x 10 ^ 8 m)

Wait, so the (G) and the [m(test)] can cancel out yes?
So then,

[m(earth)](r ^ 2) = [m(moon)][(distance between moon and sun - r) ^ 2]
(5.98 x 10^24kg)(r^2) = (7.36 x 10^22kg)(3.84x10^8m - r)^2
(5.98 x 10^24kg)(r^2) = (7.36 x 10^22kg)(14.75x10^16m^2 - 7.68x10^8mr - r^2)
Is this correct?
Can I now just take (14.75x10^16m^2 - 7.68x10^8mr - r^2) to find r or do I need to solve the rest of the equation? Sorry my algebra is very bad.

Related to Calculate Where Earth & Moon's Gravitational Attraction Is Canceled

1. How do you calculate the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled?

To calculate the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled, you can use the formula for gravitational force: F = G(m1*m2)/r^2. Set the gravitational force between Earth and Moon equal to zero and solve for the distance between them, r.

2. What is the significance of the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled?

The point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled is known as the Lagrange point. It is a point where the gravitational pull from both objects is equal, allowing for a stable orbit for smaller objects.

3. Can the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled change?

Yes, the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled can change over time due to the changing distance between Earth and Moon, as well as the gravitational pull from other objects in the solar system.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled?

The mass of the objects does not affect the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled. This point is solely determined by the distance between the objects and their gravitational pull, which is described by the gravitational constant, G.

5. Is the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled the same as the center of mass between the two objects?

No, the point where Earth and Moon's gravitational attraction is canceled is not necessarily the same as the center of mass between the two objects. The center of mass takes into account the mass and distance of both objects, while the point where gravitational attraction is canceled only considers their gravitational pull.