Calculate Water to Increase Cylinder Pressure from 50 to 150 PSI

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of water needed to raise the pressure in a cylinder from 50 PSI to 150 PSI. The formula for pressure is mentioned and additional information is provided about the pipeline, including the density and volume of water. The speaker concludes that adding three times the amount of water will increase the pressure by three times, but this may not be accurate for water as it is not an ideal gas. The idea of compressibility of water is suggested for further consideration.
Lowdot
If I have a cylinder with water at 50 PSI, is there any way to calculate how much water it would take to raise the pressure to 150 PSI?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure = height x density.

Let me add some additional information. This is for a pipeline with roughly 3.6 million pounds of water and 57500 cubic feet of area. The density is just over 1 g/cm3 at 50 PSI. Height will remain constant as will the volume. So by my thinking, I will have to add 3 times the water to increase the density by 3 times and thus the pressure 3 times. But that is contrary to my experiences with raising the PSI of pipelines in this manner.

Any thoughts?

You are thinking of an ideal gas. Water is no such thing. You need a figure for the compessiblity of water.

Related to Calculate Water to Increase Cylinder Pressure from 50 to 150 PSI

1. How do you calculate the amount of water needed to increase cylinder pressure from 50 to 150 PSI?

To calculate the amount of water needed, you will need to use the formula: (initial pressure x initial volume) / final pressure = final volume. First, determine the initial pressure and volume of the cylinder. Then, plug these values into the formula along with the desired final pressure of 150 PSI. The resulting value will be the final volume of water needed to increase the pressure.

2. Is there a specific type of water that should be used for this calculation?

No, the type of water used does not affect the calculation. However, it is important to consider the purity of the water as impurities can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

3. Can this calculation be used for any size cylinder?

Yes, the calculation can be used for cylinders of any size as long as the initial pressure and volume are known. However, it is important to note that this calculation is based on ideal gas laws and may not be completely accurate for all types of gases.

4. What if the desired final pressure is higher than 150 PSI?

If the desired final pressure is higher than 150 PSI, the same calculation can be used. However, it is important to make sure that the materials of the cylinder can withstand the increased pressure.

5. Are there any risks associated with increasing cylinder pressure using water?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with increasing cylinder pressure using water. If the water is not added carefully and slowly, it can cause sudden pressure increases which can be dangerous. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines when increasing cylinder pressure using water.