Calculate w/ Defective Calculator: Multiply w/ Add, Subtract, & Reciprocal

In summary, the conversation is about using a malfunctioning calculator that cannot perform multiplication, but can add, subtract, and compute the reciprocal of any number to still multiply numbers. Different solutions were presented, including using the calculator's functioning square root button.
Dethrone
You have a malfunctioning calculator that cannot perform multiplication. However, it can add, subtract, and compute the reciprocal $\frac{1}{x}$ of any number $x$. Can you nevertheless use this defective calculator to multiply numbers?

Source: 3rd International Young Mathematicians' Convention

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Rido! ;)

What? My calculator isn't malfunctioning. It multiplies just fine. (Dull)

Oh well... grumbling... (Sweating)
I'll just do:
\(\displaystyle xy=\frac{x+y}{\frac 1x + \frac 1y}\) (Whew)
(I recognize the form from parallel resistors. (Smirk))

I like Serena said:
Hey Rido! ;)

What? My calculator isn't malfunctioning. It multiplies just fine. (Dull)

Oh well... grumbling... (Sweating)
I'll just do:
\(\displaystyle xy=\frac{x+y}{\frac 1x + \frac 1y}\) (Whew)
(I recognize the form from parallel resistors. (Smirk))

Very interesting! Thank you for participating. :D However, one point I am not following, and it might be because I don't own a malfunctioning calculator.

You have $x$ and $y$, and so you are able to computed $x+y$ (1) in the numerator. You were also able to take the reciprocal of $\frac{1}{x}$ and $\frac{1}{y}$, and add them to get $\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}$ (2). But, how were you able to combine step (1) and (2) without being able to multiply? (Wondering) Can you use your defective calculator to confirm?

Rido12 said:
Very interesting! Thank you for participating. :D However, one point I am not following, and it might be because I don't own a malfunctioning calculator.

You have $x$ and $y$, and so you are able to computed $x+y$ (1) in the numerator. You were also able to take the reciprocal of $\frac{1}{x}$ and $\frac{1}{y}$, and add them to get $\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}$ (2). But, how were you able to combine step (1) and (2) without being able to multiply? (Wondering) Can you use your defective calculator to confirm?

Oh darn. I guess I'll have to buy one of those defective calculators just to figure it out. (Crying)

Rido12 said:
You have a malfunctioning calculator that cannot perform multiplication. However, it can add, subtract, and compute the reciprocal $\frac{1}{x}$ of any number $x$. Can you nevertheless use this defective calculator to multiply numbers?

[sp]Is...

$\displaystyle x\ y = \frac{x\ y}{x + y}\ (x + y) = \frac{x+y}{\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y}}$

[/sp]

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

There is a bug (division by zero) in the solutions above if $x = -y$. If this is the case then the alternative version:
$$xy = \frac{xy}{x - y} (x - y) = \frac{x - y}{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{x}}$$
should be used. At least one of the two versions will work except for $x = y = 0$ in which case $xy = 0$ and no calculator is required.

Rido12 said:
[sp]
Step 1.From $x$ you can get $\frac12x$. In fact, $\dfrac1{\frac1x + \frac1x} = \frac12x.$

Step 2. From $x$ you can get $x^2$. In fact, $\dfrac1{x-0.5} - \dfrac1{x+0.5} = \dfrac1{x^2 - 0.25}.$ The reciprocal of that is $x^2 - 0.25$. Add $0.25$ to get $x^2$.

Step 3. From $x$ and $y$ you can get $xy$. In fact, from $x$ and $y$ you can get $x+y$ (by addition), then $(x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2$ (by Step 2). Now subtract $x^2 + y^2$ (which again you can get by Step 2 together with addition) to get $2xy$. Finally, use Step 1 to get $xy.$[/sp]

Thanks for participating, Bacterius and $\chi$ $\sigma$, but I am pretty sure you are making an multiplication step in order amalgamate $ (x - y)$ and $\frac{1}{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{x}}$.

@Opalg, excellent solution! (Cool) Thanks for participating.

Solution of other:

Solution:
To multiply $x$ by a negative number $-n^2$:
$$-n^2x=n+\frac{1}{-\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{n+\frac{1}{x}}}$$

To multiply $x$ by a positive number $n^2$:

$$n^2x=n+\frac{1}{-\frac{n+1}{n}+\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{-(n+1)+\frac{1}{x}}}}$$

Rido12 said:
Solution of other:

Solution:
To multiply $x$ by a negative number $-n^2$:
$$-n^2x=n+\frac{1}{-\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{n+\frac{1}{x}}}$$

To multiply $x$ by a positive number $n^2$:

$$n^2x=n+\frac{1}{-\frac{n+1}{n}+\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{-(n+1)+\frac{1}{x}}}}$$
I'm dubious about "other"'s solution. If you want to find $xy$ (with $y$ positive) then this solution says that you need to express $y$ in the form $n^2$. But we are not told whether the calculator has a square root function (or if it has, whether that is also malfunctioning). So how do you find $n$?

I checked Opalg's solution on my new defective calculator, just to see how it looks: (Thinking)
$$
xy=\frac 1{\frac 1{\frac 1{\frac 1{x+y-\frac 12}-\frac 1{x+y+\frac 12}}
- \frac 1{\frac 1{x-\frac 12}-\frac 1{x+\frac 12}}
- \frac 1{\frac 1{y-\frac 12}-\frac 1{y+\frac 12}}
- \frac 14} + \frac 1{\frac 1{\frac 1{x+y-\frac 12}-\frac 1{x+y+\frac 12}}
- \frac 1{\frac 1{x-\frac 12}-\frac 1{x+\frac 12}}
- \frac 1{\frac 1{y-\frac 12}-\frac 1{y+\frac 12}}
- \frac 14}}
$$
So even on my defective calculator, I can still easily calculate a product. (Happy)

Hi Opalg, you are absolutely correct about that point. The solution used by the author makes use of the fact that the calculator has a functioning square root button. The author also presented another solution, but that one is identical to the one you posted.

I thought this might be a cool trick to show to friends...or in case of an emergency during a test when the calculator really breaks down...hehe :D

Although the possibility of just the multiplication button not working is just not likely. :p

Related to Calculate w/ Defective Calculator: Multiply w/ Add, Subtract, & Reciprocal

1. How do you use a defective calculator to multiply?

To multiply with a defective calculator, you can use the add, subtract, and reciprocal functions. First, multiply the two numbers using the add function. Then, multiply the result by -1 using the subtract function. Finally, multiply the result by the reciprocal of the first number using the reciprocal function. The final result will be the product of the two numbers.

2. What do you do if the calculator is missing one or more of the functions?

If the calculator is missing one or more of the functions, you can use alternative methods to calculate the product. For example, if the calculator is missing the reciprocal function, you can divide the result by the first number instead of multiplying by the reciprocal. If the calculator is missing the add or subtract functions, you can use the opposite function (subtract for add and vice versa) to achieve the same result.

3. Can you provide an example of using a defective calculator to multiply?

Sure! Let's say we want to multiply 5 and 6 using a defective calculator that is missing the reciprocal function. First, we would use the add function to multiply 5 and 6, resulting in 30. Then, we would use the subtract function to multiply 30 by -1, resulting in -30. Finally, we would divide -30 by 5, resulting in -6. Therefore, the product of 5 and 6 is -6.

4. Are there any limitations to using a defective calculator to multiply?

Yes, there are some limitations when using a defective calculator to multiply. The accuracy of the result may not be as precise as using a functioning calculator, and it may take longer to calculate the product with multiple steps. Additionally, if the calculator is missing more than one function, it may not be possible to use it to multiply at all.

5. Can this method be used to multiply any two numbers?

Yes, this method can be used to multiply any two numbers as long as the calculator has the add, subtract, and reciprocal functions. However, as mentioned before, the accuracy and efficiency may vary depending on the calculator's condition and the numbers being multiplied.