Calculate Volume of 24NaI Stock Solution for 1kBq at 8:30am on 4th June

• Thread starter roley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey
In summary, this problem involves finding the volume of a stock solution of 24NaI needed to achieve a desired activity for an experiment. The half-life of 24Na is 15.00 hours and the stock solution contained 16000Bq of activity in 25cm3 at 5:00 pm on June 2nd. The experiment is scheduled for 8:30 am on June 4th and requires 1kBq. Relevant equations include the simple half-life, decay constant, and exponential decay equations.
roley

Homework Statement

The Half life of the isotope 24Na is 15.00 hours. a stock solution of 24NaI contained 16000Bq of activity in 25cm3 at 5.00 pm on the 2nd of june. An experiment starting at 8:30am on the 4th of june requires 1kBq. What volume of the stock 24NaI solution would be required to give the desired activity at 8:30 am on the 4th of june

Homework Equations

I am not given any equation but the ones that relate to it are the simple half life, decay constant and exponential decay equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to start in this problem i know this is asking a lot but any indication or support would be greatly appriciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi roley! welcome to pf! :wink:
roley said:

Homework Equations

I am not given any equation but the ones that relate to it are the simple half life, decay constant and exponential decay equations

ok, write out these equations, and we'll take it from there :smile:

Related to Calculate Volume of 24NaI Stock Solution for 1kBq at 8:30am on 4th June

1. How do I calculate the volume of 24NaI stock solution for 1kBq?

The volume of a stock solution can be calculated by dividing the desired activity (1kBq) by the specific activity of the solution. In this case, the specific activity of 24NaI is 1.7 kBq/mg. Therefore, the volume of the stock solution is 0.59 mg.

2. What is the specific activity of 24NaI?

The specific activity of a solution is the amount of radioactive material per unit mass. In the case of 24NaI, the specific activity is 1.7 kBq/mg.

3. How do I determine the specific activity of a solution?

The specific activity of a solution can be determined by measuring the amount of radioactive material present in the solution and dividing it by the mass of the solution.

4. What is the significance of calculating the volume of 24NaI stock solution for 1kBq?

Calculating the volume of the stock solution is important in ensuring that the desired activity (1kBq) is present in the solution. It also helps in determining the amount of material needed for the experiment.

5. What is the time and date for which the calculation is being done?

The calculation is being done for 8:30am on 4th June. It is important to specify the time and date as the activity of a radioactive material decreases over time due to its half-life.