Calculate Voltage Output Using Faraday's Law

In summary, the voltage output of the little wireless power transfer device is calculated using the formula V = -N A (dB/dt), where N is the permeability of the core, A is the area of one loop in the coil, and dB/dt is the change in magnetic field strength over time. After researching online, it was determined that the permeability of air is approximately 1 and the area of one loop in the coil is 50.265", resulting in a total area of 5730.265". The magnetic field strength was measured to be 4T, and the change in time, dt, was approximated to be 0.1 seconds based on a similar project using a 12v battery.
nebix
so I'm trying to find the voltage output of little wireless power transfer device that I have made (I realize I could just use a Multimeter but where would be the fun in that)
V = -N A (dB/dt)from what I have gathered from online research:

N = permeability of my core which is like 1 because I'm just using air
A = area of 1 loop in my coil which is 50.265" because my loop has a radius of 4" and 114 turns so :
50.265 * 114 = 5730.265 area?
B = magnetic field strength which i measured to be about 4T because my conductor has 2 turns with an air core, and 0.8amps but 600v (its a florescent light ballast), the coil is about 3/8" so about 0.375. my formula for B is = 1*2*0.8 / 0.375 = 4.2T
dt = change in time, this was hard for me because its supposed to measure movement in seconds of the
magnetic field / inductor but the principle of this whole project works by expanding and collapsing an
electromagnetic field and I already don't really understand a lot of this but i really didn't get that so I
just did some looking online and found a forum which said a magnetic field created by a 12v battery would collapsing at around 0.1 of a second so I just went with that.So when I finally wrote down the problem it looked like this: V = - 1 * 5730.265 (4.2/0.1)

thanks for any help in advance, and in case its not obvious, I'm not great with math, so this is an adventure for me
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The relative permeability, μr, in air = 1.

So the permeabilty, μ = 1 * μ0 = 1 * 4E-7 * π

PS: Could you please write the dimension in unit: [meter]?

is that where I'm getting it wrong? the permeability? it needs to be multiplied by pi?

ps: ps: 1910.088333 meters is the total area I calculate for my induced coil, is that what you meant?

nebix said:
is that where I'm getting it wrong? the permeability? it needs to be multiplied by pi?
The absolute permeability:

μ = μr * μ0

μ0 is the permeability in vacuum/air = 4π*10-7. So the relative permeability as for air = 1. As for iron the relative permeability is about 1000.
So the permeability in iron is about 4π*10-4.
nebix said:
1910.088333 meters is the total area I calculate for my induced coil, is that what you meant?
Areas are measured in unit [m2], lengths are measured in unit [m].
Both 1910m and 1910m2 is a lot as for a "little wireless power transfer device".

Well for my purposes I am using air for my core.

I figured that number for my area was way off but I wasn't sure because in the example I found online it said I needed to find the area of one loop in my inductor, so I figured since I have 114 loops I need to multiply the area of one loop by the number of loops I had total in the coil.

Last edited:

Related to Calculate Voltage Output Using Faraday's Law

What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to calculating voltage output?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the magnitude of voltage induced in a circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. This means that by calculating the rate of change of magnetic flux, we can determine the voltage output in a circuit.

What is the mathematical formula for calculating voltage output using Faraday's Law?

The mathematical formula for Faraday's Law is V = -NΔΦ/Δt, where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the coil, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time.

What units are used to measure voltage output?

Voltage output is typically measured in volts (V) or millivolts (mV).

How do you determine the direction of the induced voltage using Faraday's Law?

The direction of the induced voltage can be determined by applying Lenz's Law, which states that the induced voltage will always oppose the change in magnetic flux. This means that if the magnetic flux is increasing, the induced voltage will be in the opposite direction, and if the magnetic flux is decreasing, the induced voltage will be in the same direction.

Can Faraday's Law be used to calculate voltage output in all circuits?

No, Faraday's Law can only be applied to circuits with changing magnetic flux. In circuits with constant magnetic fields, Faraday's Law does not apply. Additionally, the circuit must have a closed loop to allow for the induced voltage to flow.