Calculate Voltage or EMF from Charge difference

In summary, the conversation is about calculating voltage or EMF given a certain charge difference. The speaker suggests using Coulomb's Law or Maxwell's equations, and also mentions the formula V=Q/C for calculating voltage. The reference for this topic is the book "Physics" by Hausmann and Slack, specifically page 450.
arvindmer
Hi,

I have a problem about EMF and/or Voltage.
Let their are 100 electron at a place A and 200 electron at place B. Now what will be the Voltage/EMF (Voltage or EMF difference)?

And How to calculate it ??

In other words "How can I calculate Voltage or EMF if I know only Charge difference" ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
By using Coulomb's law, force between two point charge and electric field due to a point charge at a distance r can be calculated.

But my problem is somewhat different. I don't want force or electric field, but voltage difference.

My question is like this Let in a battery at one node 1 Coulomb charge and at other node their are 10 Coulomb charge. Now I want to calculate Voltage or EMF (difference).

How to do that ?

V=Q/C

V=volts

Q=coulombs

C=farads

Reference:Physics (second edition), by Hausmann and Slack.
page 450

Related to Calculate Voltage or EMF from Charge difference

1. What is the formula for calculating voltage or EMF from charge difference?

The formula for calculating voltage or EMF (electromotive force) from charge difference is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage or EMF, Q is the charge difference, and C is the capacitance.

2. How do you determine the units of voltage or EMF from charge difference?

The units of voltage or EMF can be determined by using the formula V = Q/C. The unit for voltage is volts (V), the unit for charge is coulombs (C), and the unit for capacitance is farads (F). Therefore, the unit for voltage or EMF is volts/coulomb (V/C).

3. Can voltage or EMF be negative when calculating from charge difference?

Yes, voltage or EMF can be negative when calculating from charge difference. This indicates that the electric potential is decreasing in the direction of the current flow.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the voltage or EMF calculated from charge difference?

The distance between two charges has an inverse relationship with the voltage or EMF calculated from charge difference. As the distance between the charges increases, the voltage or EMF decreases.

5. What is the difference between voltage and EMF?

Voltage and EMF are closely related but have some key differences. Voltage is the measure of electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit, while EMF is the amount of energy that a source of electricity can convert per unit of charge. EMF also takes into account the internal resistance of the source, while voltage does not.